vr6 slow

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by matrix, Jul 1, 2005.

1. matrix Forum Member

ive been wanting one for ages is it me or are they slow?

2. chrismc Forum Junkie

No..but a standard 8v is by todays standards ;)

The tall gearing & kerbweight of a VR means they need winding up, but they are a swift car when up & running :)

3. matrix Forum Member

tall gearing im sure the one i went in the other day only did 65 in second mine does 60 it just felt like i could have got out and walked faster i feel cheated after wanting 1 for ages mabe there was something wrong with it then.

4. chrismc Forum Junkie

Dont let one car sway you by any means. High milers can lose power with cam timing troubles (slack chains) or be running in "safe" mode with the ECU

A VR is more about what happens from 60 onwards anyhow.. ;)

5. matrix Forum Member

ok it was the first time in one im going to look at at least 3 or 4 more before i decide whether or not to buy 1.

6. craggsy Forum Member

Where abouits in UK are you as maybe you could try someones on here to see what they are like.
    Also try VR6 Owners club

7. cforehead Forum Member

My brothers Corrado is so quiet that it feels slow at times. He took the snorkel out of his air box last week (at my insistance[8D]),
    and now it feels a whole lot different. Ok, the Golf is conciderably
    slower than the 'Rado, but it's still swift enough to see off most
    things (excepting turbo diesels of course...[xx(])...

Fordo!

8. MrBen Forum Junkie

How fast a car goes in a certain gear isn't really a test of whether it's quick or not though, surely it's how quick it gets to that speed! And if a VR didn't get there a hell of a lot quicker than a mk2 8v, there's something very wrong with it!!

Also bear in mind that standard VR's don't really take off until 4000 revs, whereas the 8v you are used to produces it's power sooner. A VR with a Schrick VGI Inlet Manifold is another matter - it takes off much sooner!

9. davey j Forum Member

ONLY did 65mph in 2nd? You have been spoiled. There are many cars that don't achieve that from the factory...............

Going from a car that does 60 in 8 and a bit seconds to one that does it in 7 and a bit is not going to be a massive leap any way. Like has been said, they make good midrange so will show how much quicker they are on the open road. Not all about standing starts.

10. matrix Forum Member

i just put a deposit down on one anyway now i understanad what you are all saying now i drove this one and they do seem flat untill 3000rpm anyway i need it to last so i dont really want to cane it all the time.

11. matrix Forum Member

and as you say it only gets to 60 1 second faster so it would be hard to notice.

12. nelo Forum Member

Mate - I can tell you from experience a stnd mk3 vr6 is noticably quicker than any stnd 8v golf once above 4k. If it aint, shop around (or check the speedo as they v smooth).

13. Hi all.

Anybody still reading this thread please help.

I'm confused... Was a passenger in a stock VR6 last week and I got to say it put a smile on my face, it sounded glorious and pulled like a f$%ker.

Drove one today with a view to buying and I swear my '91 8v would have had it for breakfast on everyday roads and speed limits. I'm aware you need to push them but I wasn't being particularly gentle with it. Felt very different to the one I was in last week...

Today's car was a '96, 95k w/fvwsh, engine was sweet and quiet at idle and made all the right sounds when pushed - just no real sense of power (in fact it felt like my old mkII 1.8GL). The only thing I did pick up on was it took longer than expected to return to its steady idle speed after blipping the throttle. Is this an indicator that the ECU is in LOS mode due to a duff sensor or other problem? Otherwise the car is potentially a decent buy as it's clean and unabused.

Any thoughts most appreciated, Dex

14. chrismc Forum Junkie

If it was a dog or didnt pull properly Id walk away personally! ;)

15. PeeJay Forum Junkie

Mine pulled like a train from 3000rpm when I first got it, noticeably faster than my Mk2 16v, and it was suffering from:

Fuct Lambda sensor
    No Cat
    Knackered timing chain
    Dirty air filter and well-used spark plugs
    Totally fuct front engine mount

And it's just getting quicker as I bring it back up to spec.

Yeah a Vr's heavier than a Mk2 or MK3 8v and the gearing it longer (105mph in 3rd FFS). But it's a 175bhp machine should still be/feel well quicker than any standard 8 or 16v GTi. Check the Speedo they pull really smoothly. If youre used to a manic Mk2 you can find yourself going much faster than you thought.

16. PeeJay Forum Junkie

Oh yeah belive.

Buying a cheap VR6 from a car dealer (ex) mate of mine because it needed some "tlc" was one the worst mistakes of my life, VR6's can turn a little tlc into serious money

17. cforehead Forum Member

In reterospect, this post seems to suggest that removing the snorkel
    actually made my bro's car faster, which is of course ludicrous. I was
    infact saying that the added noise coming from the engine gave the impression of more speed.

Appologies for any confusion caused. I'll get my coat.

Fordo![:$]

18. Bundles Forum Junkie

Same way that a car with a burst exhaust always feels slower than it
    did when it was fine, ergo my mk3 8v pre and post hump backed
    bridge[:$]

19. octane Forum Junkie

V6's are just lazy, they need a good kick to wake them up.
    So many times i've been driving along and mines felt slow then i've realised i'm doing normal speeds at very low revs and it doesn't even start to feel powerfull till about 3k.
    after that they're great!
    get in one, drive along put it in 5th and accelerate you soon see why you love the v6 [:D]

20. A remarkably unlearned comment to make - throw all V6 engines in the same box, why don't you. Fuck it, throw in the V8's as well.......... :lol: