vr6 starting problem

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by vwgolfgt1, Jun 13, 2006.

1. vwgolfgt1 New Member

I have a recurring problem with starting the engine. Somtimes it will turn over straight away and on other occasions it takes quite a few attempts. The starter motor has been changed as this happened with the old one, Is this an ignition switch problem or am i looking in the wrong place?
    Any tips would save me alot of head scratching as i am already going bald and don't want to lose more hair.
    Cheers.

2. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

Run diagnostics on it mate, get yourself a copy of vagcom, check its not throwing a wobbly with sensors. Likely one would be crank sensor, friends valver hada recent episode with one of those

3. The db

The db Forum Junkie

I here alot of talk about this vagcom business. What exactly is it. And please dont laugh

4. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

Basically if your car is of the correct age with a diagnostic port, you can use some software on your pc along with a serial/usb to diagnostic port lead to talk to the ECU and read off any fault codes its experiencing. Phew

5. vwgolfgt1 New Member

Will definately have a go at that, Mine is a '93 L reg so hopefully it will work.
    Cheers for the help.