VR6 Supercharging?!?!

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by nick_dubgolf, Oct 28, 2010.

1. nick_dubgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Does anybody know where i might find a thread for a guide to supercharging a vr6 engine? ive recently bought a mk3 golf vr6 and have an itch for forced induction, i thought about turboing it as it would cost alot less but i would rather have that loud annoying whine to go with the grunt of the VR :p The bit i dont understand is choosing the right size charger and engine managment[:s] lol
    cheers people:thumbup:

2. coullstar Forum Member

Do a search on here or go to the vr6oc forum as there is loads of threads about it on there.

Basically though you'll be looking at specific kits from VF or Rotrex. The s/c goes where your airbox is and is belt driven from a pulley. You will need a remap at least but you can run it without lowering the compression ratio.

3. G-Man Forum Junkie

There's plenty of info around; last time I read some stuff when looking at kits is that you can get a so called 'stage 1 or 2' which basically uses a stock engine.

With the charger fitted, some kits come with a 'chip' you'll need to install into the ECU.

Here's an idea of the stages and what each kit contains:

http://www.tsr-performance.com/pages/turbo.asp

4. nick_dubgolf Paid Member Paid Member

i had a look on the vroc forum but coudnt find much, maybe i wasnt looking hard enough lol. I was going to put a head spacer in anyway as i would like to put some better valves and springs in as well as new guides etc as the engine has done 127000 and want it to be ok with the extra power etc. Eventually when i have more funds to throw at the car i will buy a replacement engine and build a bullet proof unit but for now i want a quick and easy setup with abit more punch.
    cheers for your help :thumbup:

5. craggsy Forum Member

Your options on the VR6 are z engineering, VF or rotrex. All 3 do the job very well. My preference is rotrex as I ran one for about a year, dead easy to put on and easy 300bhp from 6psi. VF will give you about 280 from 6 psi and Z engineering about 270psi from 6psi.

I have friends with both VF and Z chargers and they both had less power than my rotrex at 6 psi, VF running 10psi will give you about 300-310bhp but more chance of belt slip.
    Stick a 10 psi pulley on a rotrex and you should see 320bhp very reliably.

There is a Rotrex kit for sale on the VR6OC

6. nick_dubgolf Paid Member Paid Member

hmm rotrex sounds very tempting. would i need to lower the compression of the engine to run 10psi? ahhh good stuff ill go and have a look?
    cheers