VR6 TURBO

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by =loki=, Jan 25, 2004.

1. =loki= New Member

I have a '95GTI/'97 Jetta VR6 swap with upper front strut bar, Nuespeed P-chip and short ram intake.
    This summer I'd like to turbocharge my car so I've been researching like mad trying to figure out how to do it properly, yet economically without wrecking my motor.
    (1) How many psi of boost can a stock VR6 take before stuff starts breaking? I've heard up to 15psi.
    (2)If you had the choice, would you use a '86 300ZX turbo or a TO4B .98A/R given that both are rebuilt?The 300zx internal wastegate might help me save some money.
    (3)What computer managment would be cheapest for a low boost (10psi) system?
    (4) What size injectors should I use for a low boost system, I've heard from 300cc to 700. ?
    (5) would it be stupid to turbocharge without changing the pistons, head gasket, rods and all that other stuff, or would that be a necessity to make the car last for 100000km without breaking?

I've got many other questions, so if you have knowledge of turbos and VR6 engines, please help me.
    Links with turbo Vr6 pictures would be helpful
    Edited by: =loki=

2. 800gallons Forum Member

i would seriosuly lower the compression, ultimatly with pistons, but with a thicker gasket if ur not going to do the pistons

id use the stock computer, with a serious remap

id use the t04 turbo, internal or external waste gate isnt an issure really, i woul duse 33lb injectors.

the stock bottom end of a vr6 will take 400bhp with ease

3. Rallye Forum Junkie

4. =loki= New Member

I'm planning to use a SMT6 piggyback to tune the engine after I put the turbo on.
    I was considering a copper head gasket from EIP tuning.

Will likely be using a T-bird intercooler which is being shipped to me shortly.

I would like more info on how the TO4B (.95 A/R) turbo will function on a VR6. The guy I got it from says he has a 1.00A/R TO4B on a 2.1L. ie: At what rpm will it kick in? When will the boost drop off?

Will the stock oil pump feed the turbo and my engine properly?

All piping will be stainless steel.

Not sure which wastegate and BOV to purchase for my project. I would like a quality wastegate to keep my boost in check. Any suggestions?

5. Rallye Forum Junkie

I wouldnt bother with the piggyback, just run 42lb injectors and a
    turbo map for the ECU. That will handle 17psi on a stock VR.

Tail wastegates are nice.

AS for your BOV deffo get a recirc one, which feeds back in after the
    MAF. Other wise you will end up running rich which will kill power
    and promote lag.

Speak to matt @ designa dubs if you are after a kit.

6. =loki= New Member

The last thing I am after is a "kit", although it may be designed well for my car. I want to make my own f'in kit.
    The reason why I am going to piggyback (SMT6) is because this will be a continual project that will need to be tuned every time I can afford an upgrade. So the last thing I want is to pay $300 or so everytime I want o change something. Plus I live in Canada, so getting US parts can be a hassle.

I will be getting a new head gasket, injectors and extra fuel pump.

Hoping to use a t-bird intercooler.

I was planning on getting a BOV that just release without recirculating because I want that sound and the SMT6 should be able to account for running lean.

If you know a lot about turbos, please check out the new thread I'm about to make now.

thanks for any advice you can provide.

7. Rallye Forum Junkie

fair enough

wouldnt you be better off running SDS?

8. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

That actually gave me an erection.

9. paulgti16v Forum Member

lmfao :lol: :lol:

10. =loki= New Member

The SDS you mentioned looks interesting. However, it seems to do the same sutff as the SMT6, and the 4 cyl kit costs 4 times what I paid for my SMT6. However, that website did give me some more pricing on injectors and pumps etc.

You really think a VR6 with stock gaskets and cylinders/rods etc. can take 400hp?

How much boost do you think a stock could take. I was planning on boosting a maximum of 10psi until I change the internal stuff.

11. Rallye Forum Junkie

up to 10psi u would wanna lower the CR to 9:1 with a copper gaskit