Vr6 vs civic type R

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by vinnietheradoboi, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The VR6 can be up and over 180lbft and a Civic 140-155lbft. But you cannot stop there as the short FDR and gear selection of the Civic does make for some serious axle torque that could easily scare off a VR6 engined vehicle.

2. i_am_me Forum Member

civics are 198bhp 142ft/lb from the factory but are 1204kg 0-60 in 6.6
    golf vr6 is 174bhp 173ft/lb from the factroy but are 1155kg 0-60 in 7.1
    corrado vr6 is 190bhp 180ft/lb from the factory but are 1210kg 0-60 in 6.2

so a raddo vr6 in a golf may have a chance but a stock golf vr6 wont and i dont think an air filter can knock 1 second off the 0-60 time

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  3. Chrisss-m New Member

I wish my golf only weighed 155kg from the factory lol

4. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

:head bangs on wall:

Its not all power and weight, gearing has a huge part in all this and the honda has a massive advantage.

5. i_am_me Forum Member

sorry it was 1155kg-edited

i wasnt just pointing out power/weight but 0-60 aswell,i think with a raddo vr6 in a golf though it would be as quick as a civic up to 60.

civic 0-100 mph 16.2s
    golf vr6 0-100mph 18.7s
    corrado 0-100 mph 18.4s
    but standing quater mile is

golf 1/4 Mile 15.7 s
    civic1/4 Mile 15.2 s
    corrado 1/4 mile 15.3 s
    so i think with a raddo vr6 it would be fairly even.

all of these are factory stats so arnt going to be perfectly accurate in the real world but will give you an idea.

6. G-Man Forum Junkie

Of course gearing has a massive impact, which I know the stock VR6 gearing is too long and spoils the drive trying to keep the engine on the boil.

The VR6 isn't really a high revving engine in stock form but the available torque from the engine makes it fairly flexible.

7. oburT6RV Forum Member

Well, 2.8 litre to be fair. It's original design brief was merely to get 6 cylinders in a FWD platform to make the Golf more upmarket, not setting 1/4 mile records! It is a flawed engine, no question, but surprisingly strong.

The 12V was the practice run. The 24V is the real deal, capable of 100hp / litre.

As for the civic, they are very rapid. Ignore their low torque, they are fast as f'ck. Period. F1 cars have no torque (~250lb/ft) either but they're not exactly slow. Torque is for diesel nerds who believe power is just a number. Power is what wins 1/4 drag races :-)

My R32 Corrado struggles against CTRs. Only really pulling away at the top of the rev range. The R32's fat midrange makes absolutely no odds what so ever in a flat out drag race.

8. vinnietheradoboi Forum Member

Yours r32 is slow then, I can level peg a healthy type R in my golf @ 150,000 miles and the civic only just pulls at at top of 3rd bottom 4th

9. G-Man Forum Junkie

CTR's are swift, but wouldn't go as far as calling them 'fast as f'ck'.

10. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

I'd have to agree with this - I can reel in standard VRs all day and have very little done to the car - 3.94 FD and short ratios (this makes it TBH) , Jettex, Modded airbox, Hotgolf flywheel, ported TB (makes sod all difference but makes me feel good) and a generic chip. In saying that though - the VR sound simply can't be beaten!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  11. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

:thumbup: