VW Beetle

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by RyanMac, Dec 9, 2012.

1. RyanMac Forum Member

Hi all

Having moved to the cold confines of the North East of Scotland due to a job change I know have a pleasant commute from just outside Braemar to Aberdeen everyday. Since the roads are a pleasant drive;) and I require a car to commute to work with everyday I have been looking at the new shape beetles. Not the brand new shape but the ones from about 98 to 05. I did have a small peek at going aircooled but then I slapped myself and decided to stick with a beetle but something a bit newer.

My problem is though I am unsure as to which one to go for. I haven't driven many of them bar a 1.8T version but do I go for the 1.8T, the 2.3l V5 or the 2l 8v.....I have been swaying towards the 2l 8v as I have an engine sitting here that I have began to strip for some mods but sitting talking with the missus over sunday dinner there she said I should just go for the 1.8T as that will be most fun but wih a budget of 3000 for buying the car and mods(as I would like to use it for track days at the weekends) I don't think I would have much left of the 3000 for mods to it. If I buy a 2l 8v I can pick it up for around 1100 that leaves me a nice sum for modifications though, engine, brakes, suspension(Neuspeed do a nice add-on for that engine.).....or am I better getting the 2.3 v5?

Has anyone any experience of the cars that can maybe sway me one way or another....

Cheers

Ryan

2. nealey Forum Junkie

Whatever you get suspension upgrades are a must as they don't handle very well out of the box. Obviously the 1.8t has the potential for easy future tuning but as you say this wont leave you anything in the pot to mod the car.

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

Y'know, if I had a commute of that length, I'd be buying a diesel, and if it was where you're doing it, then it would be a 4WD and with winter tyres on it right now...

Buy something old and light to suit that engine ;)

4. Collie Forum Junkie

thats a heck of a commute. what around 50 miles?each way?

But i would go for a 1.8t as the pick of the bunch. no point in messing with the 2.0 8v you will never compete power wise with the turbo 20v..

or does it come with a tdi?????if you can can a 130 pd tdi in the bettle that would be even better for the commute side of things

5. Collie Forum Junkie

quick google shows only a 100bhp tdi. rubbish.

6. Hornchurch Dan Forum Member

Hello Ryan, Word of warning fella, do not get the 2.0 8v version !! An ex-girlfriend had one ( 53 plate ) and it was nothing but aggro. It was a one owner 30k miles car when she bought it with a fuill VW stamped service book. In the following 2 years the car needed new cat, new HT leads, various new sensors etc to try and cure an engine running issue. In those two years the engine management light was on, more than it was off. On top of that they are slow, uneconomical, and the gear box ratios are truely awful ( think van ). If you do want one i'd go for the 1.8T, but dont dismiss the 2.3 20v 5 pot lump, it's probably no more juicier than the 2.0 8v.

hope that helps

7. RyanMac Forum Member

Cheers for the comments. I think it will be the 1.8t I go for although there is a 2.3 V5 down in dundee I may go have a look at over the weekend. I think the car will be my weekend car and my wifes car to drive in and out to braemar/ballater with and i'll stick to my laguna diesel. Its not the fanciest of cars but does a good load of miles to the gallon.

My commute collie is about 56 miles each way.

8. Collie Forum Junkie

how does anyone do that.