vw golf mk6 tsi 1.4 fan immediately turns on and stays on until off the car,

Discussion in 'FSI (inc. GTI 2.0T)' started by 2011golfgti, Feb 13, 2024.

1. 2011golfgti Paid Member Paid Member

When i start the car the fan immediately turns on and stays on until i turn off the car,
    Would anyone know what is causing this to stay on all the time?
    Is it a switch at fault or what would it be?
    Help would be appreciated

2. davidut5 Forum Member

Turns on low or high? Anyway get it scanned for faults, if there are none, check some temperatures/pressures with the scan tool.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I know the MK4 does this if theres an issue with fan control module fuses, worth a look in the battery fusebox anyway

4. AllanWorms New Member

MK6 doesn't use a switch, it has a module that is fed a modulated signal from the engine ECU. If you have 2 fans, the large fan includes the module and also controls the little fan.

Any requests from other systems (like the AC) go to the engine ECU for it to determine how fast to run the fan (which can be anything from 0 to 100%).

Scan it for faults, but also check for temperatures that are not feasible (like -40 etc, or substantially different to any others, after the car hase been sat overnight, etc)

If the outside air temp sensor (for example) is disconnected, It'll run the fans, because it's confused and runs them, just in case.

You can get faulty fans or modules too. If there is a code for "mechanically jammed" or similar, the brushes can get stuck in the holders and make it think the fans isn't running.

5. 2011golfgti Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for your reply,
    I will check that air temperature sensor, I will let you know how i get on,
    Thanks again

6. 2011golfgti Paid Member Paid Member

I will get it plugged in,
    thanks for your reply.