Vw swap mk3 CL.

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by badbug, Sep 12, 2016.

1. badbug New Member

Good night Guys,

I seeking information on the right way to putting a 2E 2.0l 8 valve engine in a CL golf. The car had a 1.8L mono motronic equipped engine. What should be done first on a swap like this, should the fuse box on the car be changed for the 2.0l fuse box or are all the fuse boxes the same.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you just need the full ecu loom to fusebox, plus the fuel pump :)

main issue with mk3 swap is you have 2 types of bay loom pre-96 which has engine and lighting looms separate thru 2 small holes in the bulkhead, and post-96 where is all 1 big lump thru 1 big hole in the bulkhead. So first you got to check what you have then make sure the donor car has the same as yours. it can be converted either way but a lot of work

3. badbug New Member

Good Night Rubjonny,

Would love to know.

1: The car we are putting the 2E engine in is a Pre 96 golf with the two separate looms as you described above. Can we use the mono motronic computer and wire loom to run the 2E U-flow engine.

2: Or can we use the 2E computer with the existing mono motronic wire loom and fusebox.

4. rubjonny

you can use the old injection system but you would need to swap the head as the 1.8 inlet wont fit the 2.0 head. its so easy to change the 2e ecu and wiring loom over while the engine is out there is no point even trying though. You dont need to change the fusebox, just the engien bay loom. You might possibly have to fit a 30 ecu relay in slot 3, but I think the motronic injection system may already use one. The ECU relay is very cheap new from VW as well so if you need oen just buy it from the dealers as they are known to go bad with age :)

one thing can you let me know the code for the old engine, it may already have the 3 bar fuel pump the 2E injection system needs :thumbup:

5. badbug New Member

Ok about the engine code i will get that as soon as i can for you, hopefully today if it's possible.

6. badbug New Member

Ok so the engine code is ACC058456. This code is for the 1.8t engine. The 2E engine i understand came from a vw passat.

7. rubjonny

right the ACC code uses the 1.2 bar pump, so bin that and fit a 2.0 8v/16v, VR6, G60 3 or 4 bar one :)

8. badbug New Member

Ok so as it is to have this conversion done successfully is to get the engine loom and computer for the 2E engine a 30 relay and the 3 or 4 bar fuel pump. Do you see me having any trouble connecting the 2E computer to the fusebox of the car.

9. rubjonny

yep! pull the old 1.8 loom out, feed the new 2.0 one in. fit the 30 relay and the 3/4 bar pump, done :)

the looms fit the same to the fusebox, its just a case of make sure they're the right age to suit your car

10. badbug New Member

Ok, will try this out and report back to you the results, will however take sometime to get the electrician on the job.

11. rubjonny

you dont need an electrician really, if the new loom is good condition it will plug straight in and work :thumbup:

12. badbug New Member

It's been a long time since i made this post here the car has been on the back burner but we are ready to proceed with the swap out of the engine bay loom, but before that is done i have decided to post a pic of the fuse box end. Rubjonny can you tell if we are going to have any issues from what you can see here.[​IMG]

13. badbug New Member

14. badbug New Member

How does one post pics here.

15. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

You use the direct link for the picture in say photobucket
    Yours is not a proper link but what you did is almost right

https://www.flickr.com/photos/upload/[/img)
    What you have there isn't a link to picture should look like this
    [IMG]http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/justinc_2008/IMAG0010.jpg[/IMG)

[IMG]http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/justinc_2008/IMAG0010.jpg

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016