Want to upgrade my G60 to 200 - 210 bhp

Discussion in '8-valve' started by 2011golfgti, May 14, 2012.

1. 2011golfgti Paid Member Paid Member

My taken a G60 complete engine out of a corrado and putting it into a mk2 golf 8v i have a Rallye intercooler which ill be putting in a superchip ?
    What high lift cam would you reccomend is it a good or bad thing to put it in or does it upset the supercharger and what type of manifold . id be liken to be getting around 210bhp .

2. big nick Forum Member

Chip, cam and pulley should see you around the 200 BHP mark, all of the hardware should be chosen/used to compliment each other rather than just going for the cheapest bits or the ones that promise the highest numbers..
    as far as the cam is concerned, lift and duration are good but overlap is bad becuase all your boost would get dumped out the exhaust
    4 branches dont usually flow all that much more than a gasket-matched cast mani/downpipe combo, but if you insist on one then get it heat-wrapped..

T4 vans have a low comp. 2litre bottom end you can use, after that it's 16v time!

3. 2011golfgti Paid Member Paid Member

what cams do you recomened what brand ?
    what do you mean by T4 vans comp?
    If you were to put the 2.0 litre bottem end in what do you have to change or do you put it straight in . i have a 2.0 litre abf engine .

4. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

You would have to lower the compression of the ABF which can be done with stacked head gaskets but a lot more involved with getting the charger on it etc. If I had a complete G60 engine out of the car I would be using the compeete engine and not bother with the ABF. I would then invest in Stand alone management and get it setup on that properly before forking out extra on cams and things. Also I would stick with a standard airbox with the g60 as many cone filters can let in debris which wear the charger out.

5. big nick Forum Member

I reccomend the cheapest cam you can find that meets your needs in terms of lift/duration/overlap - the numbers are more important than the brand..

By the T4 vans comp I mean compression ratio - T4 2.0 bottom is just right for FI where the ABF needs either stacked gaskets or machined pistons..

Which bottom end do you mean? ABF or T4 van?

6. 2011golfgti Paid Member Paid Member

i think your right ill think ill stick with the 1.8 G60 engine what am i doing is puting in a 4 branch manifold and stainless steel exhaust system and a g60 intercooler and i have a sns superchip and what is the best stage in a supercharger ? what bhp would you getting with those parts put in ,im gona rebuild the engine .

7. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

depends what your after, once you start uping the power on G60's they become weak, I have seen many destory them selfs, an option is replace the G charger with a releiable screw - then it's no longer a G60!
    I'd say stick with stg3/4 with the other mods to suit, bigger cams have seemed to loose power - std a good balance for town/motorway driving

going up to 2L does help, depends how far you want to go!

8. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

You can reach 240+ on a standard 1.8 bottom end, so if your targets are 210bhp, don't waste your money on a bigger engine.

Here is a kit from Bartek, 220bhp
    Cam, pulley and chip. http://www.bar-tek-tuning.com/lshop...260007,5,Tshowrub--1107453340.1107453442,.htm

After that your money wants to be spent on headwork.
    You already have a rallye intercooler, which is going to help.

But before you get too carried away make sure the charger is rebuilt and flowed.

9. PaudieG60 Forum Member

Get an sns chip once you have everything else sorted!

10. 2011golfgti Paid Member Paid Member

I won one of those SNS superchip and a 68mm puley that came with the chip on ebay already . its a stage 4-5 . Are they a very good quality chip ? But i havent put it in yet ,im going putting in a Rallye intercooler and a 4 branch manifold supersprint .
    What stage supercharger do you reconmend ?
    Im going to rebuild the whole engine .
    What bhp roughly would you get of it ?
    Are you going down to the Limerick GTI show on Sunday 27th ?

11. Rustynuts Forum Member

If you want 210 bhp you are going to need a ported head, but if you are doing that you might as well get a big valve head that takes the exhaust valve up to 35mm, a bigger inlet valve of 40.5mm could work as well but probably not worth the extra cost. The key to the head is that in standard form it is very restrictive and it backs the boost up that is then bled out of the idle stabilisation valve (i forget the psi). So in someways it is best to get the head sorted before you bother porting the charger. Porting the charger will allow more boost at lower revs but does not increase the max level that much. That figure really changes the most with using the smaller pulley.

Remember to check what injectors your sns chip is designed for. Ideally it will be red or grey injectors as they flow a lot more. Greens tend to hit a limit at around 200 - 205bhp on a 3 bar regulator, on a 3.5 bar they achieve a bit more.

A well set up, big valve head, 1.8, with big injectors and stage 4 flowed charger should be knocking on the door of 230 bhp. I don't agree with the Bartek figures for that kit, I don't see that producing more than 205bhp.

12. 2011golfgti Paid Member Paid Member

geting the head done is key alright , the main thing im going to do is port and polish bigger valves good quality manifold raylle intercooler and put in the SNS superchip and upgrade the supercharger to stage 4 , if i was to get all those bits done to the car who would be the best to get it tuned by ?

13. Rustynuts Forum Member

If you are doing all that then you just need it set up, depends where you are as there are a few around that know their G60's