Water Soaked Carpets

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by paulm2322, Nov 23, 2016.

1. paulm2322

paulm2322 Paid Member Paid Member

Hi folks,

I have had a good scan on the net for this problem but there isn't one solid answer.

My carpets are wet front and rear - badly. I have identified two blocked front sunroof drains (now fixed and water flowing out of bulkhead nipple). I have also cleared underneath the rain tray of debris/leaves and the water now exits behind front wheels. The rubber seal under the bee-sting aerial was missing when I bought the car. Bought a replacement and fitted it straight away. The headlining is sagging at the rear which I'm assuming is due to that seal being missing for a while? Or, is it the rear sunroof drains? How would I unblock these of debris? I have looked under rear seats and there is only a tiny few spots of water on the left hand side. The boot is bone dry so can't be rear light seals.

My friend suggested the water could be getting in from underneath the car if a rubber grommet was missing. He also said to take carpet out of car to dry out or it will stink of damp

I have changed three window regulators and I know that the door membranes are not sealed anymore. Could it be this if the door drains are blocked? I will seal this at some point with pond liner and gutter sealant.

My car is a five door MK3 Colour Concept 1997 8v.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

(I tried to share some images from my Flickr but Don't know how to do it).

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

those door membranes need to be 100% sealed to the door, if not water will get in :)

3. paulm2322

Thanks rubjonny.

Thats definitely on my to do list asap. I just took the rear door card off and poured a jug of water into door. It gushed out of the bottom drainage holes straight away! I checked all the other doors and no blockages. I then jacked the car up and had a look underneath and found the problem! The rubber bungs on the floor plan have perished and are letting the water in from underneath the car! I have ordered a load of genuine bungs so will replace when I get them. Will give the carpet a good wet vac and see how I get on. Fingers crossed that I have found the problem. [:[]

4. paulm2322

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

5. paulm2322

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

6. paulm2322

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

7. paulm2322

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]