Weld-in rear strut brace and harness question

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by luke w, Apr 7, 2008.

1. jamesa Forum Junkie

fyi ...

[​IMG]

2. geezer Forum Member

I would say a welded bar with spreader plates would be fine for use as a harness point , as for the bolt in alloy types i'd agree with most of the above points having said that i survived this

[​IMG]

And i had looped my harnesses around a bolt in alloy strutbrace (it is a very good one ) true i had a half cage bolted in so that probaly helped .

The main thing to remember is that what ever you strap your harnesses around you need to have the harness really tight , this stops your body mass accelerating in an accident and increasing the load on the mounting points .

I dident even have whiplash .

3. fthaimike Forum Addict

Poor Golf....

Good info Guy.

4. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

crikey I am confused!!!

Im am trying to build a track car on a budget and was going to get a bolt in strut brace and mount harnesses on it.

If this isn't advisable what is the cheapest option? how much would some where charge me to weld a spreader plate and bar in?

5. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Having looked around, 1m of CDS tubing seems to be around 20 (the gap between the turrets on a Mk2 is 961mm). You wouldn't need much steel for the spreader plates so you be able to get some off cuts for that for a couple of quid. Then maybe an hours labour, possibly 2? My brother's going to do mine so I won't have to worry about labour.

6. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

nice one, can you show me what you buy??

sounds like it will work out cheaper than an off the shelf rear brace wouldn't it?

7. seanlazyass Forum Member

Buy the spreader plates and tubing. Profile it yourself and take it to a friendly garage/fabrication wrkshop and ask them to weld it in for you. Will cost you buttons and less than 30mins of the welders time.

8. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

cheers, that is now the plan.....

9. Hamish Forum Member

Heres a rear brace i made for my car. 3mm plates welded to the struts first then 2"OD by 2mm pipe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would be happy having harnesses around it, not that i will be.