Went to view a VR6 today, massively underwhelmed!

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Dennis10, Dec 28, 2011.

1. lard44 Forum Member

2. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Anchor power ;)

3. Every Vr that has tried to race me I have seen off with complete ease. Like I said, good motorway cars mind.

4. Richard Mk2

I suggest you go for a drive in Toyotecs Mk3 Vr6 and then report back. That thing is crazy [8-}] :thumbup:

5. I am taking standard Vr my friend:thumbup:

6. Nice Mk2 you have there btw

7. Richard Mk2

Thanks mate :thumbup:

8. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Yeh, VRs are crap, that's why mine was as quick on 1/4 mile as mk2 Focus RS. lol 0-100 in 14.1 secs is fairly lively.

Mine wasn't standard either. :p

9. I do miss my Mk2 mind. Can't fault them

10. lard44 Forum Member

Go on then, I'll bite.

How many VRs you owned?

11. Between my brother and I, four. Maybe I was a bit harsh with my comments. ;)

12. GVK

13. GVK

14. taks CGTI Committee Paid Member

24v vr6-- some more pants sounds lol

[video=youtube_share;mUoMcymmDTA]http://youtu.be/mUoMcymmDTA[/video]

15. Never disputed the sound. That, I can't fault.

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

My only criticism (other than i wasnt able to find a good one) was that the standard hardware doesnt want to rev like a 16v and it doesnt steer like a 16v unless it has a fancy rear arb.

Theyre only small negatives, the list of positives is massive though

17. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

A std MK3 16v does not rev or handle either. Pretty soulless until fettled.

With the same amount of tweakng, cars with 'Ankor' motors do not need to rev if fettled as it all about the thump at 4-4.5krpm. Handling tweaks same as any MK3.

18. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Standard Mk3 16v is not soulless Ed.
    And VR would not feel as balanced as Mk3 16v does after simple street spring kit, so handling tweaks aren't the same.

19. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I have had the opportunity to drive many STD vehicles before mine, i.e. 1H VR6, 16v and 8v and unless they have been 'improvements' to handling and engine response, they are not that great imo and compared to what I am usually around - soulless perhaps to me. The Golf 3 8v does not do engine response though so just 'transport'.
    A 100k+ miler Golf 3 VR6 is especially wobbly (underdamped and underspringed) if on std suspension that is probably past its shelf life now anyway and the engine may just have cone filter, which would just make a lot of disturbing induction noise in the cabin.
    Any Mk3 Golf GTI/VR6 can be made better with handling improvements from stock, using carefully selected suspension components. This is what I have done on my own MK3 VR6 ( My kit sans ARBs came from a 16v MK3 from here that I drove before purchasing). This in-addition to the engine improvements from hardware and calibration, took my car to just another 2.8 MK3 to have a soul big enough to give it the name 'Der Ankor' :thumbup: