What a birthday present!

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by ourkid, Dec 29, 2010.

1. ourkid Forum Member

Well it's my 40th today,i was first up this morning,went to the garage to get a gallon of diesel and took my car for it's first ever drive.I got tyres fitted yesterday but held on for today to mark the occasion.

So,this time last year i was given 100 quid to buy a mk2.It's took me exactly 12 months of work (and headaches),but has been my most enjoyable project so far.Not just the tdi install but a full brake/suspension tear down/rebuild.

btw going widetrack front and rear with G60 steels and a bit of lowering looks absoulutely awesome!

I'd already set the IQ and pump timing a few weeks back.It pulls really well,no smoke,really smooth,power steering and 5 gears is pretty cool going,[:D] from a 1.3cl golf

my scratch built stainless exhaust sounds great,i've no leaks,creaks,misfiring or fault codes.The vr6 clutch works well.

so, a huge success so far,i'll get some pics sorted today or tomorrow (could someone post them up for me please?)

A big thank you to everyone that helped me out over the last year!

Ade

2. m1keh Forum Member

Glad it's going nicely now Ade, If you email me pictures I can stick them up for you :). Happy Birthday Also.

3. ourkid Forum Member

Thanks Mike,pics sent!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  4. m1keh Forum Member

5. m1keh Forum Member

Looks great ade, definate sleeper with that engine under the bonnet. What did you do about the pd150 turbo to engine mount problem?

6. ourkid Forum Member

I had to fabricate a custom rear mount from 10mm plate - bit of a pain really!

7. danster Forum Addict

That looks really neat and tidy. :thumbup:
    So is that an AHU or 1Z engine, but with the PD turbo and manifolds? If the turbo is over towards the OS and interferes with the rear engine mount on a mk2, then it may work OK on a mk1 platform vehicle as the engine mount is on the side of the block. And as a result there may be more room for the turbo downpipe to clear the 020 linkage rods. Have you got any pics of the rear manifold setup?
    I am looking to fit the 1Y NA diesel inlet manifold / plenum, and have some kind of TDI exhaust manifold / turbo setup that helps clear the 020 gear linkages.

8. aidanb22 Forum Member

I really thought this was going to be a 'gone out to the driveway and the car was gone' thread from that title! Looks well, didn't realise it was a 4 door.

Had it rolling roaded yet?

Danster look at the mk4 style sdi manifold, leaves a lot of room behind for the turbo, so it doesn't hang down

9. ourkid Forum Member

LOL!,yeah i got a 4 door because i will be using it for school runs (plus i like the idea of an "uncool sleeper"[:D]

The next step is to replace the blue samco for black and simplify the pipework to the front mounted intercooler (currently a mis-mash of bends - but it does the job:thumbup:)

I'm getting torque steer in 2nd and 3rd when i floor it,i've yet to give it a good run but it sure as hell puts a smile on my face!

gonna fit a PD lift pump soon then start tidying the bodywork up.I'll get better pics of the engine bay tomorrow:thumbup:

10. m1keh Forum Member

Would you be interested in cruise control ade? Quite simple with a few wires and some switches.

11. ourkid Forum Member

I'm interested in seeing how this works but i only do short trips tbh Mike so prob not worth it.Plus,i don't fancy taking my fusebox down again (I don't want to see another wire for a long time[:s]!)

12. m1keh Forum Member

haha, I'll have a photo guide of how to do it soon, but it will involve wires....