What do I need for trackdays?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by benwilli, Nov 17, 2007.

1. benwilli Forum Member

what do i need i want to track days in my gti turbo chipped with 200 bhp

any thing i need to get other than bigger brakes

which bigger brakes will be best, price as well
    cheers ben

2. Boff Forum Member

I guess you have a Mk4 GTI the fact you've chipped it and its about 200hp. The car will be ok if its your first outing. I wouldn't use new tyres, but make sure they are in good condition and not knackered, plus the same brand. Brakes should be fine unless you are pushing the hell out of the car but I would recommend taking it easy on your first outing as you will break something or are likely to have an off if you push the car with the increased power above its limits.

Get a helmet (Just something cheep, you can hire at track days if you want usually), make sure you have clothes that cover your arms and legs.

The best thing you can do is get an experienced driver to show you round a track or pay for and instruction day at a small track first as they will teach you more than you can learn in a couple of years of messing about on the track. I know this from experience. Most track days will have and ARD's instructor there who can take you round and show you the ropes.

You can throw 1000's at a car, but not know correct lines and braking points and you will get a 70 year old man in a Automatic Toyota starlet blow your doors off before you have figured out which cone is for braking and which is for turn in.

Make sure the car is in good working order. I always run fresh oil for a track day and decent brake fluid. DOT 5 or Castrol SRF is very good but expensive and has to be changed regularly. Use V power if you can get it and you will probably have the best day you have ever had.

Once you have had a go and have got good at driving the car. I would recommend then changing bits. Power is normally the last thing to go for. Start with Tyres (R888's or A046R's), Brake Pads, Suspension Eibach or Bilstien, then roll bars etc.

I haven't done much work on the later VW's so ask people on here about there recommedations on parts. Also look out for the good drivers with well set up cars at track days and you will get a wealth of knowledge and experience if you ask what parts they are running and how they find them.

Use the first lap to warm things up and the last I normally coast all the way round to let the oil and turbo cool down, leave the car to idle with the bonnet up for 5 mins after the session don't leave the handbrake on if you can help it and it should save you killing the Turbo and brakes.

Have Fun.

Which Circuit are you thinking of going to??

Cheers
    Boff

3. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

You must change the brakes, but you don't need bigger ones. Standard pads and fluid will fade after just a few laps.
    I have standard calipers with a set of drilled front discs with Ferodo DS2500 pads, and Motul RBF600 brake fluid. Good enough for me around the Nurburgring and Spa Francorchamps. Off to Donny this weekend with the same set up.

Get the discs from GSF, and PM badger5 (Bill) on here for fluid and pads. Not sure if Bill does discs or not?

4. benwilli Forum Member

cadwell is 5mins from the mother in laws . i was thinking next year springish
    it will have 4 new tyres by then any way. i am not that bothered about wining etc just 4 fun, do you think i need to do any thing before i go then

take a race test, insurance, etc?

5. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

I would uprate the pads and brake fluid before going on track. Your brakes will fade very quickly on track. Other than that, a bog standard car will be fine.

No need to take a test. Insurance is a personal choice, some do, some don't. I've done track days with and without, and you do feel better with it.

6. Admin Guest

You can't 'win' on a track day, there is no 'race'.

Its just cars going round in a convoluted circle, fast.

No-one is keeping tabs and no-one will know how fast/slow you are going.

You will see when you get there.

7. benwilli Forum Member

i know its not a race but i mean i will not treat it like either. i have no intentions of trying to keep up with the car front at all costs like i did when i first started driving.

basicly last winter i did a bit of offroading in a clapped out old jeep and a very clapped out old suzuki samurai basicly go gentle or it starts costing you money

8. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Best thing you can take to a track day is some common sense, youd be surprised how many forget [:x]