What does an unclipped roller rocker sound like?

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by G60Dub, Jul 15, 2015.

1. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Been trying to source a new rattle that has began since fitting the cams, new lifters, clutch, DMF and Vibratechnics road mounts. I'm just trying to rule out possible options before the paranoia gets the better of me and I'm forced to strip the front of the car and the inlet and top chain cover off.

It's a very light metallic sounding rattle that matches the induction pulses but only seems to appear when the engine is under medium to high load - it's almost barely perceptible but intensifies around 2500 RPM but I can only hear it with the drivers window down or turning a sharp corner seems to also bring it on. Revving the engine in neutral does not produce the noise hence possibly driveline related? Bizzarre!

I did lose a nut when removing the offside driveshaft heat shield - never found the 13mm nut and wonder if its made its way somehow into the subframe or around the steering rack. Replaced the missing offender and also readjusted the OS driveshaft heatsheild as it does sit very close to the driveshaft. I'm at a loss as I've crawled over it a good few times and not found the cuprit. I have had rattles in the past on previous vehicles and always ended up surprised at how something so small can sometimes make the most awful sounding noises.

But anyway as the title- really doubt it wold be an unclipped roller rocker as surely Id' know all about that?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015