What fuel pump / setup for 2L engine with carbs

Discussion in '8-valve' started by jrgibb, Apr 27, 2014.

1. jrgibb

jrgibb Forum Member

Hi all,

I'm building a 2L cross flow engine (AGG block and AKL head) with twin 45's, the plan is to use a Facet fuel pump.

I've got the rear suspension off the car and having to replace the fuel filler pipe so at the moment I've got access to the existing pump and accumulator etc. I'm unsure on the required set up for the carbs so have a number of questions re what's needed:-

- There's a feed and return, is the return needed?
    - It looks like the feed and return all run through a filter / expansion tank close to the tank, is this needed?
    - Looks like from the expansion tank the fuel runs to the pump then into the accumulator

All the above being close to the tank. The feed then runs to the filter in the engine bay, then into the injection system etc

a) Do I need the fuel return?
    b) Do I need the accumulator and if so can I simplify the system ie tank, accumulator, pump, carbs?
    c) Can I locate the Facet pump in the engine bay or does it have to be close to the tank and low down?
    d) What Facet pump, I assume it needs to be a low pressure pump for the carbs?

Thanks!!

Jason

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if there isnt a return feed on your carbs you can get rid of all the fuel return pipe, cap it off at the fuel tank. for the feed you may find the factory lift pump (if it has one) inside the tank is enough, if not you can use this to feed the facet. if it has the plastic box under the car this is a swirl pot, with the return removed this can be taken off but keep it just in case you change your mind about fuel management later as they are now NLA! plus if you do decide to use the lifter + facet you can use the swirl pot to supply the facet, run the tank fuel return from it back to tank as per factory but cap off the engine return. run a new feed pipe, put a fuel filter somewhere handy

jrgibb likes this.
  3. jrgibb

jrgibb Forum Member

There's no return from the carbs, going for a Facet silver or red top (waiting to hear from Delortto UK re the correct PSI - they sell the Facet pumps) plus advice re positioning as I'm not sure if these pumps are gravity fed. Going to feed from the tank to the facet and have a regulator and filter in the engine bay. Everything else will be capped off or removed.

Told that the pump can be up to 60cm above the tank, going to fix in the recess for the original pump

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  4. Duudt New Member

For my 8v with twin 45's I use a facet red top pump with a filter king regulator and filter, both are in the engine bay in the rh front of the car.
    I have been using this setup for over 2 years in my daily, without any problems.

5. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Pumps usually push, not pull. So best site the pump at the back INHO
    Jon

6. Duudt New Member

These red top cylindrical pumps don't seem to have a problem with this, but the square type facet pumps must be below tank level as close as possible to the tank.
    As said I have been using this setup for over 2 years, car has been on Rolling road and delivered over 180hp and carb's never where short of fuel at top speed.

The only reason I can think of to not mount it in the engine bay is that it can get a little to hot, but then again I have been in traffic and it never had a heat problem.

7. jrgibb

jrgibb Forum Member

Thanks guys - I'm going to place it in the position of the original pump, it's not gravity fed and the pump will operate without issue approx 60cm above the bottom of the tank. One other question the instructions with the pump recommend installing an oil pressure safety switch to prevent the pump operating when the power is on but no oil pressure - ie in an accident you don't want the electric pump still working, the other alternative is an inertia safety switch;

Do anyone know if the original wiring has this oil pressure switch safety set up anyway, ie it's ok to just pick up the power from the original pump????

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the original kjet fuel pump relay will cut out if it doesnt see a rev counter signal :)

jrgibb likes this.
  9. jrgibb

jrgibb Forum Member

Brilliant - Perfect!!!