What gearbox lever is this?! 02J?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Todd Motto, Feb 18, 2023.

1. Todd Motto Forum Member

I’m trying to finish off an inherited BAM 20v conversion in a MK2, and want to get the (apparent) 02J gearbox bits done.

every time I Google 02J gearboxes, I don’t see this lever/weight setup.

on the side of the gearbox I see part number: 02J301103

So, my questions are:

- do I have a sufficient 02J gearbox attached to my BAM engine or is it the wrong one?
    - why does the selection mechanism differ to googling photos of 02J’s?
    - the side to side lever looks broken/worse for wear so can I fix this? If so, should I upgrade to the better short shifter.

The weight itself has part number: 1J0711188F

AA846DB0-585E-4FA7-B1C4-DDEA702C0F10.jpeg 6F916C3C-8B5C-4507-ADE6-6E7A555F9997.jpeg AC1DC15D-959B-4D12-93C7-60607D206B87.jpeg 7A09BDCB-E930-439B-8EBE-0165CC401D10.jpeg

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The cables don’t match any 02j set I’ve seen!

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

What is wrong with the gearbox fitted to the car as is?
    The linkage system is indeed an early MK4 (1J0) set up.

You keep saying you have a BAM coded 20vT, but I am not sure what you are asking. Are you concerned the gearbox is unsuitable at absorbing clutch torque from the engine or concerned the gear ratios are not suitble?
    What is the gearbox code?

4. Todd Motto Forum Member

Thanks @Toyotec - nothing seems 'wrong' with the gearbox, but I am double-checking that I have all the 'right setup' after inheriting this project. I was hoping to install the Audi TT 02J short-shifter, and upon googling for parts noticed the weights/levers setup was vastly different looking.

And yes, if it is an early 02J, will it be sufficient to handle the power? According to previous owner there is a VR6 clutch etc in there as well...

Besides this part number on the side of the gearbox housing (02J301103) where can one locate a gearbox code?

Thank you kindly :)

5. Toyotec

The 8N "short shifter" is for another tower arrangment, which also requires the shifter/cables to be replaced.

I have the setup you pictured on my WOLF R, which is being changed to the later system, along with an 6K Ibiza shifter.
    VR6 clutch is the least of your worries. The gearbox is limited by how much torque your engine develops and how quickly it can achieve that torque. The gearbox is an MQ250, so usually used in applications under 1400 kg and up to 250 Nm of torque, good for 150k kms of service time. A Mk2 is a light chassis at sub 1100kg, so you can feed more torque though the gearbox for a while without it going bang.

The part number you shared is not the code.

More about where to find the code of 02A/02J/02S gearboxes here.

6. Todd Motto Forum Member

D32AC83C-75CB-41CF-AA90-178F5D136010.jpeg

Is this any use? Or wrong thing?

7. Todd Motto Forum Member

Okay after some time team excavation (prev owner decided to spray paint the gearbox) it appears I have an ECW:
    B77DECCD-3296-43EC-8448-88FC79769535.jpeg

8. Toyotec

Then if you look at the link a shared, the ratios are the same as an ABF CDA/DPA including the FDR.
    Should make for good acceleration, especially when a tuned AMK/BAM/BFV completes spool up from 3200 rpm.

How long it will last, depends on how you drive it. Remember the 02J (MQ250) was only fitted to 20vT FWD cars with up to 220 Nm. So well under it's warrented rating.
    Fitting to a relatively light MK2 Golf will help durablity.

You got to remember you are modifying outside of OE design and validation, so on your own.

9. Todd Motto Forum Member

Thanks kindly @Toyotec! That's great. And in terms of the actual lever mechanism on top, that's the correct one for the gearbox? Probably a silly question - but like to verify everything for this project. Ideally I'd like to fit the TT short shifter, do you know if it can be done and converted or shall I just stick with what I have for now? :) Cheers!!