What harnesses do people use?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by thebluebus, Dec 14, 2006.

1. thebluebus Forum Junkie

i will need to get some for my mk2 soonish. I've been told you can pass the mot fine with just harnesses. Can anyone confirm?

What makes should i be looking at? don't want to spend a fortune, but don't want to scrimp either on something that holds you to the seat.

Do they (can they) use the original mounting points (mk2) ? Do they come with screw in anchors or do you use the originals?

the seats i have

http://rallynuts.com/motorsport/OMP_Race_Seats_1767/OMP_RS_Fibreglass_Seat_1793.asp

any links to some suggestions would be cool as i have pretty much no idea. thanks

:thumbup:

2. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

Ive got a Luke harness on my Cobra seat. Good quality harnesses and cheap IMHO. I used the two moun points on the seat subframe and a single one in the back, which is where the rear seatbelts would normally mount to.

3. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Everyone at work asked me where i got custom made seatbelts made up when i turned up at work with my LUKE harnesses. :lol:

4. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

:lol: @ Deako....

I used Sparco ones in G-Let and found them really good. Would have preferred 3" ones, but these 2" ones came at the right price. Sparco harnes'' are made by Sabelt.

Only regular seat-belt fastening harness' are road legal... but most MOT testers won't notice.

5. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

PMSL!!:lol: :lol:

6. fastdave Forum Member

i bought 6 point 3" luke harnesses, fitted with aircraft type release from peter lloyd rallying, as far as the mot went, no problem, they also had screw in anchor points that fitted nto the original holes, rear fixings were wrapped around a harness bar on the rollcage.

7. thebluebus Forum Junkie

:lol: took me a while to get that.......having a bit of a slow waking up day!

thanks for the input guys :thumbup:

8. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Luke 3" with aircraft release for driver side and a cheaper Luke GM4 in passenger side.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  9. vrbanana Forum Junkie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

same as seat & Skoda WRC cars, got them from rally design

10. vrbanana Forum Junkie

11. iguana Forum Member

Drivers- Takata 3 inch (same green as Auriol above!)
    Passenger- Safety devices 2 inch

Both freebies ;) as out of MSA date for race, fine for tracking.

Harness bar on cage for attachment. You can use original rear belt holes with eyelets but its not ideal.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  12. vegabass Forum Member

Sparco 2-inch four points, seatbelt buckle release.

13. jamesa Forum Junkie

Mk1 - Willans 3" with aircraft adjusters - currently four point soon to be six point now that fuel lines removed. Harness bar in rollcage. Never an issue with MOT.

Mk2 - Willans 3" with aircraft adjusters - four point using original seatbelt points, not ideal but no cage as yet. Limited use only.

14. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Sabelt 3" (lap/crotch 2") 5-point for my Mk2. I cant modify my OMP rollcage, so I'm pretty much stuck with using the standard rear seatbelt point, hmm.

15. roy8v

roy8v Forum Member

sabelt 4 points on standard mounts till my cage is sorted then in harness bar. can see a few sets of omp seats on this thread...what they like then?was goin to stick to recliners but fed up with pickin straps up off floor and chipping the paint on my sills!![:^(]

16. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

I got a Willans 3" 4-point with an aero spec clasp. Mounted onto original drivers seatbelt inertia reel point, two rear seatbelt clasp points and one hole drilled behind handbrake reinforced with 12mm? drilled and tapped plate. Oh, in a mk1 golf.

Gurds

17. leontdi Forum Member

whats with mounting the harness on the c pillar at the back surely this cant be safe if someone stuffs your car up the rear actually only seen it on show cars .

18. jamesa Forum Junkie

Only use the lower original points at the rear (Mk2)

19. mk1g60turbo Forum Member

20. gofasterpinch Forum Member

ive got luke 6 point 3" belts in mine.

i had a set of sabelt ones and had nowt but problems, they were supposed to send me a new crutch strap FOC from italy but it never happened, the belts ran out of FIA tag before i could use them! basically buy british and play safe!

i personally would chose Willans or Luke or TRS. if you can afford the lightweight adjusters get them coz theyre awesome!