what head bolts 2L conversion

Discussion in '8-valve' started by darrren, May 21, 2011.

1. darrren Forum Member

Just popping to get all my parts i need today,so i get it right first time what head bolts should i be getting,ones for the mk3 gti (using agg block) or mk2 8v gti head bolts?Thanks

2. darrren Forum Member

Also with the bottom pulley of the AGG engine,do i take that off and use the one off my digifant? As im keeping all mk2 ancillaries

3. I used the head bolts for the head I was using, which was a mk2 head. Vagcat shows the AGG bolts as the same thread & diameter, but 2mm shorter - maybe the head of the AGG isn't as thick. Worth measuring the depth of the bolt holes in the head you're using, and in the block, to make sure the mk2 ones don't bottom out, but as I recall, I used them without a problem.

Mk2 head bolt pt. no.:

049103384B (bolt, with multi-spline socket head)

M11X1,5X98 (EZ,HM,EV,GZ, GX,GU,HV,RD, RF,RG,RH,PN, PB,PF,EZA)

Mk3 head bolt pt. no.:

050103384 (bolt, with multi-spline socket head)

M11X1,5X96

But the toothed belt pulleys are the same, so no need to remove. Besides, undoing it is a pita, and doing it up again (properly) is also a pita.

Toothed belt pulley mk2:

049105263C (EZ,HM,EV,GZ, GU,GX,HV,RD, RF,RG,RH,PN, EZA,PF,PB)

Toothed belt pulley mk3 AGG:

049105263C (AAM,AEP,ADZ, AFT,AKS,AGG, AKR,ACC)

If you're using the mk2 ancilliaries, you'd need to fit the mk2 v-belt pulley to the crank of the AGG block. That would mean ditching the AGG harmonic balancer, which is built into the poly-v-belt pulley, and is specific to the 2l crankshaft. I'd use all the AGG ancilliaries if I was doing it again.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  4. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Used mk2 8v PB ones when I did mine last week.

5. darrren Forum Member

ok,what ancilarries did you use jms? And where in cardiff are you mate? im in the newport area. I thought you could just put all the pb bits on no worries and stright back in,infact i thought that was the easiest option.

6. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

You can pretty much. I've used all the original PB stuff ancillaries wise bar the dizzy which is a 2E one. This thread may help if you are trying to put a parts list together:
    http://clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233327&highlight=2E+parts

Only other mk3 bits I've used are the 2E cambelt, 2E headgasket, plastic breather and a front coolant hose as apparently it's a better fit than the PB one. I'm literally halfway through the conversion though so can't comment fully. Everything so far has bolted up no problem though.

I'm in Cathays but I have friends around Newport.

7. darrren Forum Member

ok thats cool,have to come and check each others progress at some point,ive bumped into another member before (broken down in the garage lol). I dont tihnk its out of my reach i just get confused with the whole breather plumbing. Are you using the pb rocker cover or the mk3 gti one?

8. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

I've used the mk3 one just because it looks a bit nicer :lol:

Breather wise I can't comment yet. I'll post a few pics though when it's plumbed in. Probs be end of the week.

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

mk3 head bolts are the same for the early ones with fibre head gasket, the later 8v have a metal hg and bolts are different.

you can use all the mk3 alternator and rbeater setup plus the rocker cover if you like, just be aware that you have to remove the studs and use bolts instead if you use the mk3 rocker cover. need to swap the isv and breather fittings on the mk2 to make the mk3 breathers fit nice, but the end result is worth it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. darrren Forum Member

ISV is the ufo right? I am getting there slowly,finally managed to get the engine painted,and thanks alot to the turkish guys at the local car wash for giving me some neat degreaser,that cleaned it up lol [:D]

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

isv is the metal valve between the inlet and head. ufo is the black plastic thingy on the rocker cover