What is adjustable mk2 16v front suspension?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by italian job, Mar 29, 2009.

1. italian job Forum Member

My golf has recently been put back on the road after a long lay off,on the front i have fitted Bilstein dampers and Eibach springs that lower the car 10mm max,the wishbones were powdercoated and polybushed and new top mounts were used together with lower ball joints that i fitted mid way using the slotted adjusters.
    I took it to a garage in Derby for an alignment check/adjust and was told that only tracking was adjustable on this model.
    I thought perhaps that the camber was adjustable using the slotted adjusters on the ball joints but after reading posts on here that may not be the case.
    Can anyone tell me if i have been advised correctly and suggest a good place to visit in the Midlands if i haven't.

Cheers Paul.

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Camber is fixed if using standard dampers, and may also be the case with the Bilsteins.

If it was adjustable, then you`d see the strut to upright bolt holes would be elongated. If they are, perhaps the mechanic didn`t realise they weren`t standard dampers, so in essence, he was right.

If they are not, then you can get camber adjusting bolts that have a flat on one side to give a degree of adjustment.

3. italian job Forum Member

That makes sense,cheers.:)

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

camber is not fixed on oem dampers, there is still some adjustment there

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

camber, toe and castor (to an extent) if they alter the position of the subframe

6. madmk4 Forum Member

Camber is adjustable through the bottom ball joints and top suspension strut bolt.

There are two different types of top bolts used on mk2 golfs, one is skinnier and lets you run more +ve/-ve camber.