What is this sensor on my oil pump?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Nige, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I`ve aquired a set of VDO gauges. I have used the search and am pretty sure I have labelled the pressure temp / pressure senders up correctly. I am getting the 2 pole pressure sender, but I dont know what the sensor is that is not connected to anything..

[​IMG]

Will I be able to remove that unknown item and fit the 2 pole sender for my pressure gauge into that hole?

Nige.

2. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Neither of those are the oil temp sender I'm afraid, you'll most likely find that around the back of the head near the dizzy - it usually has a green wire to it with a spade connector.

The white and brown collared senders are both for oil pressure, you need to replace one (I forget which) with the twin pole VDO sender for the gauge.

The unknown sender can either be left in or you could stick an appropriate oil temp sender in there instead, is it an Audi engine? My Audi 6A engine has that same filter housing with space for three senders instead of two like my KR engine had.

I put a twin pole sender in for oil pressure gauge and then used the spare slot for another temp gauge to run a gauge in the dash, left the OE oil temp sender in the head connected up for the MFA oil temp as well. :)

Edit - found this in one of my old posts about how to connect up oil pressure sender:

I got my twin pole VDO oil pressure sender today, installed it in the front space on the filter housing and swapped the white collared pressure switch into the rear space with the yellow wire to it (removed brown sender altogether). The original blue wire goes to WK' on the new sender, and the gauge to the terminal marked 'G' - it works great!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  3. Nige

oops [:$]

OK, thanks for that info. I`m guessing one of these 3 is the oil temp sender then?

[​IMG]

4. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

I'm afraid not Nige - those three senders are temp senders but do different things. The oil temp sender for the MFA you're looking for is on the back of the head facing the bulkhead, not the side like those ones. Don't have any pics I'm afraid but it's the only one there, you'll see it! :p

5. Nige

OK, thanks Stu, I`ll try and get a photo tomorrow when its light.

Nige.

6. oak8vgti Forum Member

the two senders with the rubber boots on are oil pressure senders,

the other sender looks exactly the same as my oil temp sender on my mk3 vr6 engine so i'd say oil temp sender for mfa

7. Nige

but its not connected and the MFA oil temp works fine ! I suppose the easiest it to disconnect them one at a time and see what stops working...

8. oak8vgti Forum Member

yeah prob lol

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

Easy for the wires to get swapped over between the senders

PS...that's not the oil pump, it's the filter mounting bracket. The pump sits inside the sump, underneath the block.

10. Nige

ahem [:$]

you are right. whoops.

11. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

If you use the sender on the back of the head (on a 16v) for a VDO gauge, it reads about 25 degs too hot.

12. oak8vgti Forum Member

the unused sender is definatly a oil temp sender, its exactly the same as mine

13. arienol Forum Member

That looks very much like the stock oil temp sender. It will only read 0-150C, so if you have got a 170 VDO temp gauge you are in trouble.

14. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

MFA temp sender is just visible on the top right of your second pic, it has a green/black wire :)
    You need to pull the unused sensor and fit a sensor to match your temp guage. As for the 2 pole pressure sensor, you need to read the markings on it to determine which of the 2 pressure sensors it is designed to replace.

It will have something like this:
    0-5 or 0-10bar - shows what rating pressure guage it is for
    0.3ish or 1.8ish bar - shows if it has a low or high pressure warning switch

if 0.3ish then it replaces the black/brown low pressure sensor with a blue wire, if it says 1.8ish then it replaces the white high pressure sensor with the yellow wire :)

15. ripskin Forum Member

I am currently installing my 3 VDO's into my 8v digi mk2 gti, The Temp comes from the oil filter housing currently to the MFA. I am making this switchable (from dash) so i can switch sensor lead via switch to either VDO or MFA. Got to make it switchable as if you run two sense leads to two different gauges ie; vdo + mfa. It will lie to both of them. (obviously) I have tested this and it works fine.
    On my 8v the oil pressure sensor only has one wire comming from it (i think!) but i will check.
    Obviously battery one is a no brainer ;)
    So the senders can be either 1 or 2 poles? Tell me to shut up if im not making any sense.....

16. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

indeed, the dual pole ones replace a pressure warning switch, the single ones do not :)

17. Nige

OK, so these should be correctly labelled now...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. ripskin Forum Member

I would'nt know, looks like a 16v setup to me, im still on the 8v:thumbup: sorry cant confirm.
    Looks about right though if its the same as audi senders...

19. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Nigel, the 'unknown' sender is, as oak8vgti rightly says, an oil temp sender used in the mk3 what the ABF came out of. Mk3 doesn't use the same head sender as the mk2 does

Try temporarily connecting both up at the same time and compare your MFA reading to VDO gauge

20. Nige

Will do :thumbup: