What Mk1 rear brakes for trackday use

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by altern8, May 6, 2008.

1. altern8 Forum Junkie

What do you lot run for the rear brakes on your mk1s? Are drums up to the job with new cylinders and pads/drums?

Cheers
    Craig

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Yes, more than adequate. Mk1s have no weight in the back, so just don't need over-braking. Mk2 discs are marginal sometimes.

3. Lhasa2008 CGTI Regional Host

Does anyone have problems with MK1 rear drums overheating when used on a track?

Would converting to MK2 discs help?

Lhasa2008

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

On the basis my ex-VW Cup Golf has drums (& it won the championship), I think it's safe to say they're a non-issue.

5. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

I only have the rear discs as its easier to change pads. LOL!
    But you do need to adjust the rear bias to get rid of hand brake turns everytime you brake hard.

Gurds

6. infinity

infinity Forum Member

drums on mine, never had any prob's as Chris was saying,

not sure which set-up is lighter anyone got any lying around that they weigh?

7. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

drums are supost to be lighter too, mine runs drums and its already a bit too good at the back in the damp (well was before I upped the fronts again)

all the wieght on a mk1 is at the front really,the only big mass near the rear is the fuel tank and roll cage, but then they sit in the middle-ish so thier wieght is still shared between the 2 axels.

8. Hypermonkey Forum Member

I run drums on my Mk1 without problems. Just did a complete overhaul...drums/shoes/handbrake cables/pistons/bearings and without doing the h-brake it was only an hour a side to get the old off and the new on....and 90 for everything. Last time they where changed was when the car was rebuilt in 2001 ish and has done at least 20+ trackdays, 'ring trip and 7K+ road miles:)

9. Stacy Vickers New Member

I think the only advantage with a rear disc conversion is to stop the need for adjustment. I have some lightly drilled drums on my MK1 racer, and I see Don Hughes is still running drums on the back of his MK1 1600, which I reckon is the fastest MK1 out there at the moment (Toyo Tires Racing Saloons).

Cheers

Stacy

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

A very quick car - recently lapping Brands in something insanely quick for a 1600.

11. Dub Nutta Forum Member

I'v got some motorcycle discs and brembo scooter calipers im going to be putting on mine soon, with an alloy hub I think I should be able to save a good 5kg a side with these.

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Agree with the weight saving Ray, though I recall the Dziurzynskis tried this with their VW Cup cars - I'm not sure how they got on, but they didn't get them running straight away, and I've a distant recollection they changed back. Worth a call - www.wepl.co.uk

13. Dub Nutta Forum Member

I know one of the Mighty Mini front runners using a similar setup who seeme to get on fine, because they get prity hot being small you have to make sure the pad material is up to the job or get some one off's made up.

14. altern8 Forum Junkie

Hey

what and where did you lighten on the drums that sounds intresting :)

Cheers