What power steering fluid?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Mk2Luke16v, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Mk2Luke16v Forum Member

For a 1990 mk2 golf 16v originally but now with a seat leon cupra 20vt lump in it.

So rack, pipes and filler bottle are all original 16v items, but pump is the one on the new engine.

Went in the local motor factors, who are pretty good, and they didn't know whether to give me LHM or Dexron II.

So which is it?

Am i ok with my current set up or do i need to swap the pump for my original 16v one?

Whatever it was Euro car parts gave me has leaked out already, i'm presuming cos it was the wrong stuff and has penetrated the seals of the pump.

I've heard it's ok to run the pumps dry anyway, can anyone confirm that?

Cheers

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Dexron II is what I would use, the MK2 system will probably have the older seals and may not be suitable for the modern stuff. I've done exactly this on my MK2, but with MK2 system + MK3 pump and no bother for the last 3 year or so.

3. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

same here I'm using Mk2 steering rack and Mk3 engine with pump and no problems,
    LHM is too thin an oil for the mk2 rack