What power/torque to expect from 2L 16v (6A)? *Results*

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Stu, May 8, 2006.

1. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Hi All,

I've finally got round to booking my car in for a rolling road setup at Stealth. I gave up looking for places in the North West that knew about ye oldy k-jet system and also thought it'd be worth going back to Vince for comparative purposes as he set it up with the old 1.8 KR engine. So it's a nice long drive for me down to Warwickshire and back.

So, what can I expect from a standard Audi 6A in good order with KR cams fitted. Everything else is standard as per the old setup, WUR regulator is already pre-drilled for adjustment as I set it up DIY style a while ago.

My 140-odd thousand mile 1.8 KR engine peaked at 148bhp and 124lbsft at Stealth a couple of years back, so I'd hope for a bit more power and a lot more torque, certainly feels a hell of a lot quicker now with just my DIY setup and the timing at 6 degrees BDTC.

Will it be possible to run more than 6 degrees advance as the car is always run on Optimax?

Any ideas? I will report back when I've been and let you know how I get on. Post up your guesses and I'll let you know who is closest [:D]

Cheers

Stu

Last edited: May 11, 2006
  2. prof Forum Addict

160-170-bhp and 145lb/ft at stealth at a guess

3. davidwort Forum Member

should see 145lbft on KR cams possibly a bit more, 7 or 8 deg of base advance should be OK too, mine's been set to about 8/8.5 by Stealth but it may be the flowed head that makes it less prone to pinking. Just as happy on Tesco 99 as Optimax.

4. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Ok - thanks for the replies. I will report back later in the week as to what the rollers say :)

Would a flowed head make much difference to torque then or more just to top end power? I still have my original KR engine in the garage, maybe I could get the head rebuilt and flowed and plonk it on the 6A block at some stage in the future?

5. rupe Forum Member

I don't think you'll see much of a hp increase but will have more torque, I'm running 10 degrees advance and that was setup on regular 95.
    9A with kr inlet, not touched the wur.

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Should be similar to what mine did " @ Stealth " when standard 9A with KR cams Stu - 160ish and 140+ torques.

In the past with my old engine it would pink on the rollers at anymore than 6 degs. Pity as at 8 degs it gained 5bhp @ peak over running at 6 degs!

I'm at Stealth tomorrow to see how good/bad the new engine is.

Last edited: May 8, 2006
  7. Lod_Dub Forum Member

how much would you expect from the same engine, but with a 4branch exhaust manifold, and quite a lot of headwork? im hopeing for about 170bhp running on K-jet. yet to get it booked in at stealth.

8. fthaimike Forum Addict

Gary with engine managment you could gain that power back.

9. GVK

I could Mike, got a spare 2k? to lend me? :lol:

lod-dub , expect high 170s early 180s 'at Stealth' :)

10. ABF_2L16VT Forum Member

Ive just fitted a 6a with KR cams to my mk2 16v on kjet, 50mm inlet, 6deg adv.

Made-
    173bhp and 147lbs/ft

Pinked like hell at 9.5 deg and made no more power.

It made more torque than my ABF mk2 on Kjet. because I have an 8v exhaust system and downpipe, the ABF had a 3" magnex system and only made 1hp more, and 2lbs/ft less torque

11. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Ok - thanks for the replies, I will let you know how I get on.

To be honest, anything around 160bhp and 140lbsft would make me very happy! Not that bothered about the numbers if it drives well but it's interesting to have an idea of what to expect from people with similar setups. :)

12. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

When mine eventually runs properly, what does anyone think it will run:-

KR Head + Headwork Quite wild from what ive been told.
    6a Bottom End
    4 Branch Manifold & Exhaust

13. NormanCoal Forum Member

Going along what Gary has recorded at Stealth with a worked head ie, the last sort of runs before his block change, I would expect early 180's. I have a very similar spec to what Gary used to run, and this is what I would like out of mine (when I eventually get it back together)

14. corradophil Forum Member

Mine produced 162 bhp & 152 Ibft the last time it was on the rollers. It still has a cat and was running 95 octane unleaded.

Mines a 9A running Ke-Motronic.

15. loadsavalves

loadsavalves Forum Member

mine at stealth, 9A, kr cams, 50mm inlet, ported zorst manifold, stainless downpipe and system and stealth warm-up reg mod it made 169.1bhp and 143 ftlbs on optimax.:)

16. GVK

Update Stu? ;)

17. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Well, been to Stealth now and it was a bit disappointing to be honest, I think Vince was as disappointed as me that he couldn't squeeze any more power out of the old girl! :lol:

So, first run on the rollers gave a frankly alarming peak of 129bhp and 127lbsft with a drastic dip in power around 4,500rpm where you would normally expect it to ramp up a bit with the KR cams. Anyway, after some investigating, my cam/crank timing was fine, intercam timing fine, ignition advance at 6 degrees, fuel pressure and control pressure well within spec, so a bit of a mystery.

Then Vince pointed out that when idling the base ignition advance would fluctuate several degrees up and down instead of resting around 6 degrees. Also at this point the engine note at idle would drop then rise again. I had noticed this in the past but just assumed it was the usual 16v air-leak somewhere. [:$]

So, after a bit of diagnostic work and swapping the ECU for a known good one the car ran again and was up to around 145bhp, still not great but an improvement! He then cleaned up the ECU contacts and put back my ECU and it was ok then, no fluctuation at idle so I think that was down to dodgy contacts, it gets a lot of water in the scuttle when it rains due to where I park the car. [:$]

So a bit more tinkering, advancing the timing to 7 or 8 degrees was ok, no pinking and it ran it's best figures, which aren't very impressive I have to say:
    152bhp @ 6537rpm and 135lbsft @ 4988rpm.

Vince did try a few more runs, advancing timing further but it didn't increase power so in the end had to leave it at that. He suggested that it was down on power by a good 10bhp on what he'd expect but to be fair the head is completely standard with no flowing, as is the manifold and full exhaust system. He said most people tend to have a better exhaust and usually a flowed head which may account for the lack of power.

In any case, it seems a bit quicker now (I thought it was alright before [:$] ) and runs fine, and more importantly starts hot or cold still which I was worried about from past experience of tuning WUR's and all that stuff.

So, next stop a flowed head and a decent exhaust I think, but for now I'm happy enough with how it goes. 300 mile roundtrip yesterday, air-con on all the time (not when on the rollers though! :lol: ), crusing around 80mph and it performed faultlessley, 35mpg average, not bad overall. [:D]

Gary - I have my graphs on a floppy disk, what's the program I need to view them and where can I download it? I had it on my old PC, 'dyno demo' or something?

18. gti_kev Forum Member

Getting there then Stu, As long as she feels good to you that's the main thing!

When cleaning the ECU contacts what did he use, any special spray or anything?, i cleaned mine up a while a ago with an emery pad, but i felt it could do with a better clean!

19. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Yeah, some kind of electrical contact cleaner spray. I'd cleaned them in the past with a variety of things but obviously there was still a dodgy connection there somewhere.

20. gti_kev Forum Member

o, i'll have to get some of that then :)

if i look at the connector on the ecu in the wrong way, the connection to the fuel pump is lost LoL