What Sat Nav

Discussion in 'Sat Nav, GPS, Camera Detectors' started by GRRRRallye, Nov 18, 2005.

1. GRRRRallye New Member

The subject says it all tobe honest.

I have been looking at getting Sat Nav but i dont know what is good and what is not. I want it to have Europe to street level as well as UK.

I like the idea of the new Road Angel with the sat nav and speed trap detector but it is 500 for the unit then another 200 for Europe and 50 pa for speed traps making it 750!!

Im looking for a max of 500.

Any ideas? I doid like the look of the Blaupunkt units that fit into a din slot but i dont want to remove my Nakamichi headunit.

Any ideas or suggestions?

2. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

Either get a mobile which can use Satnav or a pda with in-built reciever if you want to use it for walking about with.
    This one is a good deal and although this particular one has no software you could get TomTom for nowt ;) and save a few quid.
    All you need is SD card and you will have a setup for about 230 which you can put any map on you like.

3. TurbTech Forum Junkie

Tom Tom 700 all the way!!

Full UK and european mapping (on hard drive), by far the easiest to use then download the speed camera locations free of charge from the tom tom website.

4. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Forum Member

imo, get a new mobile phone and at the same time get the tom tom software for the mobile phone(the mobile only costs 100 max, and will support tomtom).

5. MrBen Forum Junkie

I tried out a Road angel Navigator last night - very impressed with it - all the functions I could need in one compact unit, much better than having a camera detector and a separate sat nav unit.

The only issue I found was that it struggled to find the satellite after having it switched on inside the house for a while.

6. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

I take it you mean that you couldn`t get signal when you left house ?
    Some are better than others but I find on one I have that from cold it will pick up signal quicker if I go into GPS status and see progress.
    Better to switch off and on sometimes or at worst a soft reboot.

7. redi

redi Forum Member

GPS receivers need a clear view of the sky to pick up a signal so you wont get a good siganl in the house if at all - unless your near a window.
    Some models may also need an external anntenna particulary if your windscreen is onr of the heat reflecting or heated types.
    I use TOMTOM which is excellant, touch screen so no fiddly button to find on the move, updatable via the web and I downloaded speed camera locations onto it. I would recommened it to anyone.

8. skattrd Forum Member

I got a pda phone as an upgrade for my mobile (contract phone - 30) then downloaded Tomtom (torrent - free) and bought a gps receiver/pda holder (ebay 80)

Works great and just over 100, as well as a nice pda/mobile .... if a tad big
    Edited by: skattrd

9. GRRRRallye New Member

OK i see. Sounds like i need to look into a whole other load of stuff then.

I see now that Halfords are doing one with a snooper S2 for free but i would have to "aquire" the europe maps

Is the S2 any good or will it just tell me when there is a set of auto doors at the local co op 5miles away?