what spring rates do people run?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by badger5, Dec 20, 2005.

1. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I suppose with double the power (+ a bit more) of our 16vs, the bumps @ Combe will become more of a problem, as you say Bill, there is a bump on the line @ Folly and the two chicanes exits are very bumpy too, last time I went round Combe I had shagged front dampers and it was fairly dreadful. :lol:

These mega high rear rates seem to work really well on Andy's (AW tracksport) cars but just to mention in the Stock hatch series their ARBs must be stock.
    Edited by: GVK

2. Dogwood Forum Member

Bill, what you've got sounds pretty good to me, especially if you're not on slicks. You need some compliance on the front end with good damping /rebound control to try and get the power down. Big bars with adjustment is the way to go if possible.

3. DarkMK2 Forum Member

Yes nail on the head GVK... you got there before me! I was going to ask Bill, what restrictions apply to you regarding arb's with the formula your going into?

Because, as GVK said, in Keith's sitiuation in Stock Hatch the arb's must be standard. So the reason behind the huge leap to 650r/350f springs was in order to combat the masses of body roll. A great set-up for the likes of Donny or Brands, but as you fear yourself, it posed problems at bumpy tracks like Lydden.

IMO you really need to go all out on the arb's within the regs. Then go about finding a comparitively softer spring set-up, probably around the 300lbs mark, that gives the balance and tranction you desire. This way you have the comprimise of a firm but flat ride, but with a greater ability to absorb the bumps while cornering/applying power. Also alot safer and pleasant on the roads!

4. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

thats the line I am going with.. regs allow me to use any arb so no probs there. compliance is key I think in getting the power to the ground.
    I am less sure if my 4 year old PSS9's are all that they could be in the damping dept, and there is probably a better acting damper perhaps.
    track width and geo is also a major factor in my thoughts. got my new top mounts, as blanks to machine to suit my needs ( as soon as I have figured out what my needs actually are LOL) - true to form to quote a mate tho... F*king tuners.. supply a sleeve nut which is the same size as the spherical bearing so does'nt fit.. typically. [xx(]

5. DarkMK2 Forum Member

No restrictions to arb's:o, just what you need for the mark mk1!!

Now im unaware of your budget, of course, but as your getting new dampers soon'ish, then i would recommend Leda dampers:thumbup::clap:.... if your budget allows it! They are on the pricey side, but they are up there at the top when it come to the track! They workas a 'build to suit', bespoke manufacturer, so you know what ever you get will perform to your exact expectations. It might be worth giving them a call, even if your budget isn't sufficiant, as im sure they could give ya (professional) valuable advise to the set up of your car;)
    Edited by: DarkMK2

6. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

I had spoken to Leda yes.. and will do face to face at Autosports.. I could have been able to get pro-flex for very good money, too good to say no too, but I cannot run remote resevoir dampers by regs.
    I know friends who have had good service from Leda, but also have heard of some with damper rod corrosion pitting, which I can confirm on a used set I have sat on my scirocco. dampers are rusted where they should be plated on the rods.. (not going to be good for seal life)

As for building me a spec.. yea. It would more than likely be better than my (maybe) tired PSS9's and a.n.other springs of rates TBC

7. Gentlefoot Forum Member

Thought provoking thread this. Sounds to me like my rates might be a touch on the high side at the front. And its true, the car does have issues putting the power down from a standing start.

I fitted neuspeed ARBs front and rear. The front one I went for the slightly thinner one. Think it was 23mm. Hoping I didn't get the wrong one. Must admit, I didn't feel a huge difference when I fitted it.

8. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

Sorry Bill, I should have added that i currently don't run a front arb and use a eibach rear, i was using the eibach front too but after doing a bit of testing, decided the car power understeer'd less without it, with just a bit more roll.

i have got hold of a standard front arb (thanks hotgolf ;) ) which i'm going to test at Oulton in Jan.