What the hell is that noise??

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Alpenweiss2, May 9, 2014.

1. Alpenweiss2 Forum Member

My 1991 8 valve Gti has been sorned for the last two years, however I am now ready to sell my GTI :( and so I have been getting her ready for an MOT. When I fired her up today she started fine but there is a high pitched squealing noise coming from the rear of the car when the engine is running (car stationary)?? I think it must be fuel pump related?

Can anyone advise? It is really quite noisy? Has my lift pump failed? As I said, the car hasn't been on the road for over two years but has been regularly fired up and run up to operating temperature. This is the first time there has been a noise?

Any ideas?

2. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Either pump in tank or one under the car in front of the rear beam

3. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

could be that or the main pump or both
    i'd start with the lift pump it's cheap about 20 and if it turns out to be the main pump you should change the lift pump at the same time anyway

4. Alpenweiss2 Forum Member

Hi there, thanks for the reply. I have looked on GSF and ECP websites but not really sure what to look for as they have nothing for 20?

Should I get one of these:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/3609...f11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

Cheers Alpenweiss2

5. MUSHY 16V

I'll look the p/n up for you later
    Aye both their website are not that clear

6. Marty's Dub Forum Member

Digi? Seems to be a few fuel pump failures lately. That link is for the entire sender unit. You are really just after the small lift pump in the top of the that unit. Like this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/In-Tank-F...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ad4acb978

I've used this link as there's a reference to the OEM part numbers available.

Here's another.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-M...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eba1fe9aa

If its the main pump for you car providing its a Digifant, this is the Part Number 191906090
    http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares...d-191906090_act_shop.product_pID_16382231.htm

7. MUSHY 16V

The lift pump you have to watch you get two types
    They change over 87/88
    Early ones don't fit the later ce2 sender of the Digifant mk2's

8. Marty's Dub Forum Member

Ok so with regards to the link I stuck in my post (BandB) If you should go down that route. Be sure to ask the supplier if that particular lift pump fit/work in your car before purchasing as it seems it lists it for MK1's & MK2's between 1980 and 91. If I were you I'd try to identify firsthand where the source of this noise is coming from before splashing cash.

Etka lists 2:
    191 906 092 AD 15mm
    357 906 092 C 19mm

I just wish I could post Etka Illustration 216-10 for '91 Golf

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  9. MUSHY 16V

looks like the two pumps may be interchangeble but if you use a different one you will need to change the straner to mach the pump
    dont quote me on that though

you best bet is to look see what one you have

but it seems all early mk2 pumps have been dropped and the replacement for both 15 an 19mm ones is 357906092C
    as you can see for the early 3 pin sender
    [​IMG]

and this is the later 4 pin sender

[​IMG]

10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

unplug the main pump and turn key 1 click, if lifter pump isnt heard replace it, as above the pump itself is same for all you just change the strainer. most if not all pumps will come with a strainer so no worries there.

best to check the wiring first though, jump the pump with 12v at the red/yel and brown wires see if it works