What to look for when buying an ABF?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by jmsheahan, Oct 9, 2011.

1. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

I'm going to look at a Seat tomorrow simply for it's ABF lump. Other than the obvious is there anything in particular/problem areas I should be looking for in regards to the engine?

I don't care about the rest of the car but whilst on the subject any Ibiza problems I can use to barter the price down? :lol:

Thanks

2. Chrisrpal Events Team

I have herd from different people on here to check that ISV is buzzing before starting and also to watch out for ECU temp sensor and crank sensor. I have read on here it's a common problem for the crank sensor to go. Also if ECU temp sensor/ ECU #30 relay are faulty you'll have cold/hot running problems.

Anyone welcome to correct me if I got anything wrong. I am 90% complete on my abf conversion so still learning alot ;)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  3. Chrisrpal Events Team

Also I would check if the crank knocks under load and also listen to the cams and see how noisy they are. I would also advice to hear the car running from stone cold, if any faults lie in the engine then at cold it most probably will show as all the oil is at the bottom of the sump. :thumbup:

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

my properly ancient, abused, 233k mile abf has a tappy top end for about 0.5s from a cold start (if its not been started for about a week), despite oil pressure being fine.

thats about it really.

5. Chrisrpal Events Team

Thinking about it, I would also check for coolant leaks/oil leaks (also check oil cap/ oil dipstick for water spots) If engine fan runs constant and engine over heats that probably means head gasket gone. Youll have a big bill for a new head gasket, head bolts and skimmed head. Also if exhaust manifold sounds blowy most likely has a crack in it. I have had 3 abf and 1 kr exhaust manifolds all with hairline cracks in them. Bl**dy pain!!

I would replace cam belt and water pump as a rule of thumb. :)

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

and the three plastic water flanges, and check the state of the crank sensor, ive seen a few fall to bits, far easier to change when its not in the car.

7. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Cheers chaps. Missed out on the one I was going to look at it but some useful pointers.

Where is the crank sensor located? Expensive to replace? Belts and flanges will be replaced anyway.

At 233k I'm guessing these are quite bullet proof then. Ideally after one around 100k.

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

crank sensor is about 50 a shot (in my experience)

its behind the oil filter and obscured by the front engine mount. quite fiddly to do with the engine in place