What weld in cage for mk2 ?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by AjVR, Jan 7, 2014.

1. AjVR Forum Member

Ive been doing some research for cages for a mk2 golf. The custom cages seems to not have many bars compared to other cars.

All the others seem to be standard 6 point. Are there any other good weld in options? Or is it a case of adding my own?

2. Dclarke Forum Member

Deano is your man: done many of the nicer Mk2 race cars and did me a weld in job for my Mk1 which is a work of art and very reasonable. He's been doing a lot of GT and Brit cars recently and well worth a call. Got some good VW pics on his Facebook page too. Compared with my old VW Cup Lupo that had a CC welded in, it wasn't a patch on what Deano has done to my Mk1.

Tylah Motorsport
    Park Farm,
    West End Lane,, RG42 5RH,
    Warfield
    07846 446373

3. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

Safety Devices roll cage's are good, and when my mate and I last dealt with them they where helpful and will help you get what you are after.

But as above would have to suggest if you have not done this sort of thing before to get some help. If nothing else all the welds will need to be spot on any that look a "snotty" will not go down too well come scrutineering time.

4. Jommanjo Forum Member

5. jasongtr Forum Member

whats the cost for a Tylar multipoint cage in a mk2 ?

6. H5LRW Forum Member

If you want the job done properly give Colin a shout:
    HCD Race Fabrications: 01733 211 441

7. Dormeister Forum Member

Hi, I'd be happy to fabricate a weld in cage for you.
    I've listed my basic prices in my thread - click the link below. Theres alot of flexibility with the cage designs as everything is fabricated in house.
    Let me know. Cheers, Si

8. Jommanjo Forum Member

I paid a good price but I understand he's busier these days. Give Deano a call and discuss. Will be cheaper than CC but comparable if not better.

9. jasongtr Forum Member

thing is I'm not looking to have CC weld the cage in, i was going to tack it in and i have a very good price of 150 to do the final welds, so all in it will be about 950

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

It's not possible to tack a multi-point cage in and hand it over - fully assembled - to someone else to seam it up. They will end up having to break parts of it down again.

This thread explains why.

11. jasongtr Forum Member

if you mean because of having to drop it through the floor to weld the top section thats tight to the roof then its not an issue as i have a carbon roof so ill be chopping the old steel one off. If its not for that then please let me know as the guys who are welding it in suggested i tack it up and weld the feet in and they do the 'proper' welds

cheers

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The main example would be the back of the door bars at both ends. Once the A-pillar and B-pillar tubes are in for good, they won't be able to weld around the tube:

[​IMG]

Bottom of A-pillar racheted in for welding:

[​IMG]

:thumbup:

13. jasongtr Forum Member

ok cheers, I'm only going by what these guys said so i assume they are aware of these little issues, i also assume that when they said i had to weld in the feet plates and tack the cage in its to ensure the cage fits properly and the re-profiling of some of the tubes has already been done, it its then a case of them cutting some of the tacks off and racketing the tubes in to weld behind certain tubes then i would hope they would be aware of it.

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

If I were spending that time and energy, the last thing I would risk is assuming. There is no physical way of welding the door bars properly once the dash bar, or the diagonals are in.

Give it careful consideration what is on offer :thumbup:

15. jasongtr Forum Member

oh i will of course, these guys have welded in plenty of cages, ill be asking to right questions though