What were MK3 Anniversary 8V Factory Standard Shocks?

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by lildubber91, Aug 27, 2010.

1. lildubber91 Forum Member

Hi,

Just purchased a MK3 Anniversary 8V GTI. It doesnt have any info with it. It's got Bilstein Shocks all round. Just wanted to see if anybody knew what the standard shocks were on this model? Is there anywhere I can get specs for early golfs online?

Thanks

James

2. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Sachs/Bodge were standard spec on all mk3 Gti's
    Anniversarys used the same, If your Bilsteins are black they are cheap crap replacements
    from the likes of euro, if they are yellow you have touched lucky and have a very good set up.

3. lildubber91 Forum Member

Hi

Thats great, thanks Eddie. They are yellow give or take a little peel, which is good. You wouldnt happen to know the drop on these from the original? Or are they variable?

Thanks

J

4. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

Drop comes from springs not shocks

5. azur Forum Member

just too warn you that standard mk3 shocks are terrible. my new valver is standard and I had forgotten how awful they are... you can't go round corners and get bounced to the roof.

i was going to leave it standard for a bit but im putting my koni/eibachs on asap.... probably the best think you can do to a mk3

i would stick with the bilsteins if they are with some sensible springs!

6. lildubber91 Forum Member

Yeah your right, Iv been in a couple stock mk3's, which arent the best for ride quality and comfort. The bilsteins feel ok! Iv just had a major back op, so pretty much anything is uncomfortable anyway, ha - and cornering at speed isnt really an option for a bit! Iv always wanted an anniversary edition for some reason but the one thing Im hoping from it more than anything else, is that I dont get frozen out of it in the winter and have to climb in through the boot like the mk2!

7. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Oh, that will still happen! Trust me... :lol: