Whats a good Dump Valve for 1.8T

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Lee-GTi, Mar 26, 2004.

1. Lee-GTi Forum Member

Hi all, got an S3 engine in my Mk2 and i've never had a turbo car before and would be nice to hear a woosh or two from my little golf!!! till i get p***** off with the noise!! but which one its got to be loud V-loud!!!
    I've been looking at this one? "Mega Sonic" its about 200.00 is that good or not as i know now't about them!!

[​IMG]
    Edited by: Lee-GTi

2. thebluebus Forum Junkie

i've no idea either but i've heard dodgy things about dump valves in vw's. Somthing like the ecu doenst like it or somthing.

3. Lee-GTi Forum Member

its in a Mk2 on Motec stand alone management, so i dont think it should be a problem ;)

4. lowridingvw Forum Member

200 for a dump valve is not on the cheap side, check out bailey motorsport or forge motorsport dump valves

5. Lee-GTi Forum Member

Not to keen no the bailey ones but forge are very nice thats whats on there at the moment but it a re-cur one so theres no noise!!

6. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

if you think you'll get p***** off with it, try a dual port bov.
    at low revs it re-circs, and at high revs- ie - caning it, it will dump into atmosphere.

is the one pictured above a turbosmart product, as they are the danglies! :lol:
    they do a dual port bov...............

7. Saul Forum Member

Forge do atmospheric DV's too, and as you say, with your Motec management, should be no problem

:)

8. flusted Forum Member

If you take the return pipe off the dumpvalve and plug it up,you will have an atmospheric 1!!!

Done this to my mates leon cupra ;)

9. jonathanm In Delete Queue

If you want a aftermarket dump valve go for the Forge or hyperboost one as they are both the same. This will give you a lot more reliability than the standard one. If you want the wooshing noise you are best getting yourself a Cold Air Intake such as a Carbonio CAI. The kind of DV's that are fitted to the RS turbos/Subarus will not be any good for your angine as it will mess up the ECU and I think it will cause problems with your MAF. Check out Awesome GTI's site as this is where I got mine from.

10. Lee-GTi Forum Member

Ho ya its a Turbosmart he's a pic of the Dual-port bolw off valve VERY NICE!!! :p
    [​IMG]

11. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

I'm not too sure on the specific setup of the 1.8T , but generally what happens if you dump to atmos with a MAF/AFM is this... As you let off the go pedal the engine will briefly run rich as you have just chucked away some of the metered air it was expecting to burn. The lambda sensor will see this and lean out the mixture to compensate. When you go back on the accelerator the engine will be running excessively lean until the lambda sensor again picks it up and alters the fueling back to normal.

Lean running turbos is bad m'kay? [:s]

12. Lee-GTi Forum Member

I think with the standard management your right martyn, But as i'm running a super dooper MOTEC System i'm not sure if this still applies!!? I hope not as i so want a noisy dump valve [l]!!!!

13. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

I'd imagine if you've gone to the trouble of getting a MOTEC you'll have also ditched the MAF in favour of a MAP sensor, in which case dump away :lol:

Some more detail here if anyone's interested.