Whats a valver like against today's hot hatches??

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by thegolfman, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Jonny777 Forum Member

Hahahaah! Yeah, thats all good, but im 17! :lol: Im trying to get insured on my dads D reg 8v, best quote ive got is 1400 quid, from Elephant, fully comp, me as second driver! So, im pretty sure a valver will be a lot more than that! :p
    Jonny.

2. The db

The db Forum Junkie

I'm pretty sure the new mini cooper s is a 175bhp 1.6 turbo but im not a mini man so I could be wrong.

2.0l 182bhp clio is the trophy I believe? Limited edition model if I remember, and my mate binned his pretty hard and shattered his ankles in the process not long ago. That thing was quick as hell, almost too quick for my liking as I just dont trust something the french have made.

Granted a valver will stuggle against alot of the more modern cars in a straight line, but when England has few truely straight roads it doesnt matter. Cars have come along way in 15 years, but its reassuring to think the Golf GTI was a catalyst for this.

3. Jonny777 Forum Member

The new turbocharged Cooper S has 175bhp db, but the old supercharged one had 163. So there ye go! :) Yer right!
    Eurgh French cars! Hate them with a passion. Only one that is at all worth anything was the Pug 205 GTi 1.9. A right car that was, a golf beater one might say! (prepares for beating) :lol: I'd still have a golf over them anyday, 205 gti's have serious fuel pump problems dont they?
    Jonny.

4. milgo Forum Member

Sounds like a nasty crash. They did the 182bhp engine in all their sport range with different bits on the chassis i think. Like cup and non cup, think the trophy might have different suspension as well or something?

French cars are a bit nasty but they do know how to make a hot hatch :)

Trouble is People on here are always going to be a little bias seeing as the majority of members have valvers i would have thought. No one likes to think their car is bad compared with others.

Something i'd like to throw in though, when i first got mine it was on new standard suspension and it handled a bit poorly with a lot of roll. I wonder what a gti with completely standard suspension would be like against a new car on a track? Everyone knows they handle great with coilovers or even uprated shocks and springs and harder bushes. Another example of this was on a 5th gear, where tiff drove an e30 m3 (meant to be brilliant handling) and it looked like it was rolling all over the place. In the end i think the cooper s cabrio beat it round their track.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  5. The db

The db Forum Junkie

I must admit that although the standard suspension on a GTI will go forever I found it to have too much roll for my liking too.

Pug 205 1.9 GTI is a brilliant car tbh. My friend had a 1.6 version which was aweful, then spent the best part of 5k on a 1.9 - 2k for the car, 3k restoring it (bottom end rebuild, gearbox rebuild etc etc). There only 8v's but they definately know how to go fast. I think it would beat a Golf, but at the moment it has that stupid Pug 5th gear design for motorway "crusing" which means it struggles to get over 100mph.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  6. Jonny777 Forum Member

7. The db

The db Forum Junkie

T16 turbo. Thats the route my mate was going to go down but wouldnt of been able to fix alot of the other things that were toshed. That thing will go like stink!!

8. Daz... Forum Member

The Trophy has Sachs remote reservoir dampers on them. Something stupid like 500 a corner to replace [8(]

The 182 Clio Sports aren't that quick I found. I was all over one in my Valver before the engine had been set-up properly. I did notice that the Clio looked like it wanted to go into every hedge beside the road. The back end did not look stable at all...

I've driven a 172 Sport quite a few times and didn't enjoy it as much as driving the Golf. They feel too much like they are on the edge all the time, even after being lowered. In a straight line it feels like it's not going half as quick as they are either....I prefer to know I'm moving in a car.

9. milgo Forum Member

What is done to yours? 170 odd bhp is quite a bit.

Thats interesting about how they feel to drive. Never actually driven one myself. Are they quite twitchy on the back? I have driven a fiesta st and that thing felt so twitchy taking a corner fast. The tall back end feels like it wants to sway out.

I don't reckon you can beat the golf in terms of driving experience. It feels really stable and the amoutn of feedback you get even with the pas models is great.

10. Daz... Forum Member

I've got a rebuilt ABF lump in mine. All standard internals, just well built I guess.

I found the Clios tend to be very twitchy on the back end. It might be that there's a lot of grip there but you need to be extremely faithful in the car to really chuck it about....and with it being french I couldn't conjure up much faith for it :lol:

The 182 I followed looked like it was going to just jump in a hedge round the faster corners. I guess it's because the rear wheels are so close to the back end of the car. Makes it a bit too light...

11. thegolfman Forum Member

Its worth a try on a valver... I didnt think I'd get insured on one until I tried Ecar. Noone else would touch me.

12. melinamotor Forum Member

Errm,

The clio's cock a back wheel in the tighter bends just like a standard Gti Mk1/2. I cant abide french cars but the 182 was a fantastic car to drive and i thought inspired confidence rather than blighted it.
    The trick dampers may be expensive to replace but oh boy do they work a treat :lol:

I took the 197 out for a test drive the other day and was nearly tempted to buy one, its that good !!

Unfortunately I have not recovered mentally from the engine falling out of my pug 205 gti all those years ago to buy another french motor.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2006
  13. thegolfman Forum Member

Its still french though... [xx(]

14. melinamotor Forum Member

Absolutely, read my post again;)

15. The db

The db Forum Junkie

:lol: :lol: :lol:

French cars = le merde.

16. thegolfman Forum Member

I know, read my post again ;)
    I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was backing up the point of why you choose correctly not buying one...
    :p

17. thegolfman Forum Member

Maybe not :lol:[:$]

*shuffles out of room silently*

[:$]

18. Jonny777 Forum Member

:lol: So in conclusion db got it right! XD
    Jonny.

19. vduben Forum Member

my mate has a 172 with 4 branch on it, its rapid beyond belief!!!!!
    it does all other cars of same spec,
    but id sooner have a golf any day

20. rallyeluke Forum Member

FRENCH CARS= AMAZING HANDLING AND TERRIBLE DESIGN.

my 106 rallye series 1 i had before was without a shadow of a doubt the best handling car i have ever driven, but not a week would go by with out something breaking, it was dishearting the amount of money and hours i spent on that car!!!.

stupidly fast though!! 1.6 16v saxo vts engine conversion, multiple engine mods and stripped out. 780kg + 136bhp + short ratio box= low 15's/high 14's at the pod