Whats missing?

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by vrbanana, Jan 21, 2009.

1. coullstar Forum Member

So your saying that the newer cars are actually worse than the old ones design 20yrs ago. Sorry but that is absolute crap. The Mk5 chassis is very good. I had a 140Tdi and it was very good. Some people are hell of a blinkered sometimes.

2. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

No No No.

Sorry I'm not putting this across very well.

I'm not saying that the mk5 isn't a fast, great handling car, I'm trying to say that huge horespower with stuff like ESP, TC & such like to harness all that power isn't what Golf GTIs were all about.

I admit to never having driven a Mk5 but I've never driven a Viper either & i still know that they're bloody handful. My point is that with 200+ bhp if the mk5 didn't have TC, ESP etc it would be pretty near undriveable.

3. GRINGOG60 Forum Member

Yet more nonsense.

You could turn all that off and it would make it no more undriveable unless it was wet.

200bhp Fwd is hardly an uncontrolable beast.

4. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

I understand what Gaz is trying to say but the electronics on newer golfs hardly harness the power do they. I never actually have my ASR on in my mk4 and its not exactly a handful. first gear is a bit useless actually.
    Ive drove a mk5 GTI for a couple of weeks and its one of the best handling golfs ive ever been in and the electronics have very little (if anything) to do with that. as above, its the painstaking attention to suspension and chassis that do. alas, they had to cut corners on the interior to get the mk5 handling right though.

5. gillm

gillm ***** User

a mk5 will **** any other std gti they are such a good car it is unreal . people only **** them off as being big etc as they have never driven one or clearly never been in 0ne

6. gillm

gillm ***** User

as for electronics i have only ever had esp kick in twice . once i was being a helmet and thew second time i was being more of a helmet . both times it saved a large insurence claim . and as for 200bhp threw the front wheels , a load of rubbish they come with 225 tyres from the factory . mine has 265bhp and it has no probs what so ever getting the power down this is because the chassis is soo soo good .

but your mk2's in the garage and buy a mk5 . thats what i do with my mk1 ! the mk1 is a fun car not a fast car

7. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

True!

It's not what 205 GTIs were about either, Clio 16v's Or Astra GTEs - look at their modern counterparts..... all fitted with driver aids!

Sorry, that's not true. If you get a chance drive one and then come back and give your review. :thumbup:

8. Admin Guest

i thought it was the steering wheel?

9. GVK

It helps!

10. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

OK I'm really having trouble getting across what I mean.

People were discussing which of the five incarnations of the Golf GTI didn't really deserved to be called a GTI, in particular picking on the Mk3 & 4.

It is generally agreed that the Mk1 was the original & therefore the one that all following models should be better than. It was small, light, simple, and stood head & shoulders above just about every comparable car.

The Mk2 was heavier & bigger but still retained most of what the Mk1 was all about.

Mk3s & 4s are a matter of personal taste.

When VW launched the Mk5 they declared it was "the original updated". I am trying to say that insofar as it is a fun to drive, fast hatch they are right, BUT it is NOT small, light or simple, nor is it head & shoulders above any comparable car.

I accept that it is now virtually impossible to make a car like the Mk1 due to emmisions, crash tests etc, so why pretend it is anything like it?

To me it's like the new Beetle & BMW mini, in many ways far superior but also totally different to the original.

I very much doubt that in 30 years time people will even remember the Mk5 GTI.

11. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

^^^ good point tbf.

The MK5 is impressive....

but if you are talking 'GTI' traits... small, light, nimble etc then the lupo is closer as we all know.

(in fact, I would even go as far to say that a mk3 16v is closer in personality to original GTI.... light (:lol:) small([:s]) nimble (alright alright, maybe not)

:lol:

12. GVK

No new cars are small light and simple though, sadly.

Well apart from those Perodua things.

13. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

doesnt the mk3 have the same chassis as the mk2 ? [:s]

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

cars grow with each generation, its in their nature. if they didnt change and keep up/ahead of times then theyd have ended up like rover.

if you really want something tiny, a lupo or polo could fit the bill, but a polo is the same size as my mk3 now

15. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

some are...... link

16. gillm

gillm ***** User

lupo is close to a mk1 but the gti is boring , my misses has a lupo gti and its too dam slow .

saying the mk5 will be forgotten is never going to happen .

bast thing for all of you who have never driven 1 is to get off your keyboard and book a test drive . then come back and tell me which is best

i have driven all of them

mk1 gti 1800= fun but too old to be driven as a daily
    mk2 gti 1800 8v 16v = fun and can be used as all the time
    mk3 gti 8v/16v/vr6 = mondeo boring /vr6 has a great sound track tho
    mk4 gti 1.8t = mondeo boring (1st impression was the where is the boost0
    mk5 gti = a complete car , what i mean is its a great out of the box track car / shopping car/ motorway car .

have also driven alot of the new vw range and ford range and i would take a passat everytime if working away

17. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

new shape passat interior quality and ride is awesome. Better than the new 3 series I think

18. GVK

oh yeah :lol:

19. vw_colourconcept Forum Member

[:s] [:s]
    clearly you havent seen the good mk3's about then

20. GVK

Don't cry, it's his opinion.