whats needed for higher torque than power in re build?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Swampyloving, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Swampyloving Forum Member

Sorry Jon, Forgive me for being Dumb as I don't understand how the gearbox ratios will effect the Torque/Power ratio so please sympathise with me here.
    Can you explain further as I don't get it? don't really understand a lot when it comes to the dirty oily end of the car tbh hence the questions. LOL
    ratios will be ideal for what I need as we are really struggling with current set up as discussed with Mart in much detail. ( standard gti ratios and 4.25 fd for info)..surely adding more torque can only be a good thing regards lap times??
    vw motorsport cars would have had a lot more power and shorter ratios than me and bigger final drives I am sure, or they wouldn't be listed in the gearbox ratio thread I am presuming under motorsport items?
    regards the 2ltr thing, this can be increased if beneficial? don't need much more power that is the thing ..maybe 10-15hp max
    My theory is that way back when I remember touring cars started with big bhp figures and down tuned them to meet the regs and trying to keep the torque...also ( carnt remember the era) but F1 cars from what I remember had something like 350bhp and 1000lb of torque ( just summarising figures there )
    If anybody thinks what I am suggesting would not be beneficial then I am happy to hear why and what would be a better build to 175bhp per tonne
    cheers

2. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

My rallycross 1600 years and years ago had a powerband 6-8000. It would die below 5500. Group A ratios were needed ( ouch) to make use of it, std gti ratios were no good.
    You will change up at a certain revs point, according to the boffins to hold the rpm between the max power point and the max torque point. Its no good having these two points not suited to the gearing you are running
    Jon
    Money spent on some data logging would be useful

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Engine clutch power is nothing without torque and engine speed. Ultimately torque as fed from the engine, multiplied though the selected gear and FDR, to the axle and redistributed as a force to the tire patch for a given diameter wheel+tyre, is responsible for your acceleration.

Generally an ABF 2.0 motor will achieve 155-165lbft. ITBs tend to reduce the level of torque but sustain it higher in the rev range. Modifications to breathing or engine volumetric efficiency, will affect how high, how long and what range of rpm this level of torque will be sustained.

Just saying a car has X bhp is meaningless. You really need to quote the engine speed at which this peak is achieved as it will give an indication of what torque is still present at that point.

You said you have ITBs, Cams and an OMEX 600 ECU. That gives you many ways for freedom to play with the torque curve for acceleration and limit the max power for the regulation.

4. Swampyloving Forum Member

Thanks for the replys guys....still baffled though..thought I was going to get answers regards crank/piston/cam combinations lol

Maybe I should of asked the following... or would this clear things up?

How can I improve my engine to make my lap times reduce on circuits ranging from Snetterton to Cadwell with Rockingham, brands and Silverstone etc etc in between with an ABF motor coupled to box with standard gti gears and 4.25 final drive with lsd? and a motor of no more than 175bhp? at present power max is 7200rpm and happy for this to move (ideally down)

Would this bring different more specific answers regards to engine.......(not after chassis mods/driver training etc etc in this thread)

cheers