Whats the optimum fuel supply system for an ABF conversion?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Hilux, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Hilux Forum Member

Hi all,

I have done a search but all the replies offer advice about a mish mash of systems that when cobbled together offer a solution and a lot are already on cars with fuel injection.

What I hope some one can give me is the optimum set up.

I intend to swap the 1.8 8v I currently have in my Mk1. It was originally a 1.1. I have a Mk3 ABF and box with unprogrammed ECU so am sticking with its injection system.

The tank is weeping on a seam I believe so I`ll change it (I am NOT welding it )

I am gathering together a kit of parts ready for the swap/rebuild.

So................what tank should I fit? A GTI one?

I have built carbed cars before using high pressure in line electric pumps but I`d love to know what I could use out of the VW GSF etc parts bins that fit the tank and will supply the engine for I believe the ABF injection system doesnt need a high pressure supply line?

Also what are the fuel line sizes needed as I`ll be replacing them also.

In short what do I need as at the moment all I have is a 1.1 tank with sender and fuel pick up and an engine mounted pump?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give for I dont want to have to re-invent the wheel if it`s been done successfuly before.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you could use a carbn or a gti tank, either will work. if you use a carby tank, fit a lift pump, lines and fuel reservoir from a later MK1 cabrio or scirocco. in either case the k-jet MK1/cab/rocco pump will supply more than enough fuel for the engine.

alternatively, a MK3 Polo GT/G40 pump & lines will also work just fine.

Oh and you'll need a fuel filter, the MK1 has it in the engien bay somewhere, and the MK3 Polo has it under the car. So either get the fuel filter bracket from the Polo, or find a way to fit it in the engine bay.

MK3 Polo has the advantage that all the fuel lines are plastic, so will be in better nick than most MK1 based chassis cars.

3. Hilux Forum Member

Thanks John, great info.

So, I`ll get my current tank checked as it seems to be `wet` along a seam and if its ok I`ll be able to use it and if not get another.

One more question please.....................

Is the GTI tank therefore sealed and uses an external pump with only a pick up and return in the tank itself? If so I might go down that route and fit a swirl pot with an aftermarket pump so you can run low without surge issues.

4. rubjonny

the only real difference between the 2 is the gti tank has an outlet on the side, this is where the main pump gets the inlet feed from, and there is no lift pump. A proper GTI tank will have a swirl pot in too, some pattern tanks dont tho.

the carb tank you just pop a lift pump in there from a late cabby/rocco (also MK3 Polo one fits, forgot to mention that earlier). The fuel reservoir I mentioned above does the same job as the swirl pot in the GTI tank, keeps a reserve of fuel handy for those corners.

The fuel return for the GTI tank is in the side just above the outlet, the return on the later lift pump setup runs to the fuel reservoir, then theres another pipe from there to the lift pump.

5. Hilux Forum Member

Hi John

Another couple of questions please.

The current tank has a sender in the tank, do I simply take the sender out and fit the new pump? In other words does the new pump have a sender? If so I`m assuming its compatible with the current gauge?

6. jamesa Forum Junkie

7. rubjonny

yep thats right, you pull the old level sender out, and drop in the MK1 cabby/rocco lift pu8mp/sender assembly :thumbup:

8. Hilux Forum Member

I`ve bought a 6N Polo one :thumbup: so hope it all fits.

Any recommendations as to wiring the pump as I assume it needs a relay and ignition live to it and then earth from it? (I`m fine mechanically but electrics arent my game [:^(] )

While on the subject of fuel, the car smelled of petrol only when over half full.. I thought it was a leaky tank but I have found out that a damp looking stain on it was old underseal or waxoyl residue.

I cant see petrol coming from the filler cap although it does seem a loose fit as it moves slightly even when locked but the smell does seem to come from inside the car especially when hard cornering left. Driving it with the sender access lid off I cant see that leaking either. (Stripped out interior)

Any ideas?????

I`ve had a look at the filler neck and its all sound as is the flex pipe under the tank (I think it has been replaced) but when I removed the wheel arch protector there`s about three smaller pipes near the filler neck when you look up under the filler neck where it meets the body.

Has anyone got any details or workshop manual diagrams of exactly what they do and how they should be as one pipe seems to be joined to another as it looks a bodge and not factory so I wondered if that was the problem?

9. rubjonny

is the 6n one an in-tank pump? if so dont think it will fit!

this pic any help, it shows pretty much all the various breather setups on 1 diagram so a bit confusing, bit of head scratchign and hopefully you'll get there:
    [​IMG]

10. Hilux Forum Member

Bu**er, yes it is. From previous posts I assumed when referring to a Polo it was an in tank one

11. Hilux Forum Member

`kin `eck, that is a lot of pipes. I think I`ll remove the tank and pipes and sort it all out properly.

12. Hilux Forum Member

Here it is

[​IMG]

Polo 6N 1994-1999 in tank fuel pump and level unit. Part no 6N0 919 051N

13. rubjonny

Polo in tank pump does fit, trouble is its a MK3 Polo one you want, not the 6N. i.e the model before the one you nicked that from ;)

14. Hilux Forum Member

Bu**er, are you sure as I looked it up here and was told a mk3 was a 6N?

15. rubjonny

16. Hilux Forum Member

Ho hum

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, a shopping I will go...........