Whats this knocking? Cams? bottom end? tappets?

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Drag20vt, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Drag20vt Forum Member

Firstly this is a AMK 20vt engine running qpeng fitted into a mk2 golf.

Engine has ran fine for few years, always been fine with looking after it etc...

Last weekend driving along the motorway i put my footdown in 4th gear and spun the wheels (wet weather) and overtook a few cars. Slowed down to normal speed and ever since i've had this noise. Noticed no change in how the car runs, other then this loud knocking or tapping noise that is in sync with the revs and is still there at idle.

Any ideas? I know it could be a few things but looking for someone who may have experienced this before or know a way to confirm what it could be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHvU1vigJgc

Cheers

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Without an oil pressure gauge, it sounds like the top end. One tappet with excessive clearance.

Really need an oil pressure check to be sure though.

3. carlg Forum Member

What Rods do you have in there?

sounds like a bent rod i have done the same before on my k04'ed mk2 on stock rods, when the rod bends slightly the piston is pulled lower and the noise like a top end noise is made when the piston skirt hits the oil squirter.

when you take the head off if this is the issue one of the pistons will not sit as high at the top of its stroke...

mine still made ok power like this but when i took the rod out it looked like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

good luck

4. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

^^ Approved

5. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

You`d be able to tell if you took out the plugs and checked that each pair of cylinders was the same distance down.

Nice banana rods !

6. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Are the early AMK s3 engines not bad for this
    A friend of mine had his s3 throw a rod in much the same circumstances

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Standard feature on all stock 20vs

Break a timing belt on these and not only do you get bent valves but rods like in the picture:thumbd:

Goes to show how strong valvers are in comparison.

8. carlg Forum Member

By the way I have bent stock 20vt rods like this twice both higher mileage engines both AGU engines now I have Uprated rods it has not happened again only done about 100 miles so far though

9. mk2bal Forum Member

Am I right in thinking this only happens with 250+bhp ie k04 motors only? A mate has also bent two sets of oem rods on his aum k04 qpeng mk2, but I hammer the hell out of my 225bhp agu k03s under the impression it's 'just about' safe on that turbo and shouldn't happen? Is this possibly an inertia thing as well too much rpm etc also? Could it happen to me?!?!

10. carlg Forum Member

I drove the snot out of my k03 (not the s) and didn't bend a rod but I went from the k03 to the k04 and the rods bent about 100 miles after I turned up the boost from about 12 psi to about 18. Both sets of rods I bent were up hills when the boost came on earlier I think it was the low rpm high torque that bends them rather than high rpm but then what do I know lol

11. Drag20vt Forum Member

Thanks for the replys guys. Put the car on hold until its warmer and rain isnt such a problem. Will let you know when i finally take a look at the problem

Cheers