Whats this??

Discussion in '8-valve' started by lilred, Oct 30, 2010.

1. lilred New Member

[​IMG]

After tinkering with my Golfy i noticed this plug unplugged lol can anyone tell me what it is or what should be plugged into it please? :)

2. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Looks like the knock sensor lead :thumbup:

3. dubmeup Forum Member

I reckon that's the crank sensor connector based on my experience today ;)

4. danster Forum Addict

If your car is 1989 and has a Digifant 1.8 PB code engine fitted, it will be the knock sensor connection.
    Crank sensor is similar but that only came fitted on the later 8v 2.0 AGG engine fitted to the mk3 golfs.

It should be connected to the loom though. :thumbup:

5. dubmeup Forum Member

And ADY's ;)

6. lilred New Member

Ye Danster mine is 2.0 8v Kreg, so what problems might it be causin while its not plugged in if any or do people do it for a reason???

Thank you all for the advice lads:thumbup:

What was your experience today Dubmeup??lol

7. danster Forum Addict

I think at Kreg your car should have a 2E engine code that does not have a crank sensor.
    If the engine has been replaced by an AGG or ADY, they have crank sensors but will not connect to the existing loom as there is no loom for it as the earlier 2E engine uses the dizzy for the ignition trigger unlike the AGG and ADY that use the dizzy as a cam phase sensor.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  8. dubmeup Forum Member

My experience was changing a crank sensor!
    Yup, a 2E has no crank sensor but that just doen't look right for the knock sensor to me. The route the cable takes is wrong and the connector doesn't look right to sit in the bracket next to the twist connector.
    If the business end of that cable goes behind the oil filter it's a crank sensor but as mentioned, if it's an ADY or AGG running on 2E (digifant) management, the loom will have no facility for it as the ECU doesn't use a crank sensor signal.

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

follow the wire back to where it comes from, simples. if it runs to a black plastic roundy thing held to driver side of block with a bolt thru the middle then its a knock sensor. if it runs down to a sensor bolted right at the bottom of the block on passenger side under filter housing and next to gearbox, its a crank sensor.

if crank sensor, you dont need it and you have a late 8v block fitted to early car. if its a knock sensor you do need it, find the other end and plug it in

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

HTH :thumbup:

(AEB block, so it has 2 x sensors)

[​IMG]

11. lilred New Member

Thank you Jonny :thumbup: iv jus opened me front door to go see if the wire goes to the black plastic roundy thing lol and the heavens have just opened, il av t wait now lol....how annoying[:^(]

12. lilred New Member

Its the other lead, the one you have a white plastic cap on thats loose, what is that one?

Also I found a lead and a connector that were also unplugged, from under the air box and the connector goes into the car itself on the left hand side, its a 4 pin but one is seperate on the end, its like 3 and 1 type thing so i plugged it back in and it drained the bat after turning the car over twice[:s] any clues as to what the lead is and why it drained me battery??

13. bens_cab Forum Junkie

the white grey plug is the crank sensor wiring sould be 3 wires in there if its not plugged in the car wont run

14. lilred New Member

well my car runs?? so it must be a late engine after all cause thats defiantly the loose wire

15. bens_cab Forum Junkie

follow it and see if it goes to the flywheel end of the block if it does i wouldnt worry about it

16. lilred New Member

Cheers matey:thumbup:

17. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

as i said earlier ;)