whats your 1.8t sound like !?

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by JWYATT, May 4, 2011.

1. JWYATT Forum Member

I've been looking at a few 1.8t's in mk2's and know of two around my area , one of which sounds like the link below i'm just wondering how come some sound so quiete/whistle only , compared to others out there ,

What do you make to these few 1.8t links the only way to describe it , i know some are running different exhuast/intakes but is that all what its down to ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUZuXdweiQw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-QYwG6AUeA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQN1osnMtRI

Cheers Jo ,

2. Mook

Mook Forum Member

The exhaust makes a massive difference - the best flowing one for the Mk2 is the Jetex stainless. Mine sounds a bit like a jet fighter from the pitwall.

OK, so not as loud, and definitely not as fast, but you get the idea :p

3. Ditchyboy Forum Member

is the jetex stainless a straight through system? and is it a twin pipe to keep it more oem?

4. JWYATT Forum Member

I've got all jetex in my parts box , im half way through my 20v swap , and just geting bit alarmed by these different 1.8t engines , hopeing its not going to sound all quiet like one of them (not that i want a noisy noisy car ) just a different tone to that ,

I'd be running full straight through all the way to jetex twin baxbox !? :p

Jo

5. Mook

Mook Forum Member

Yes it is. I don't use the silenced centre section - just one box on the back, but it's a track toy with a stripped interior, so I'm not bothered about how loud it is in the car. It's plenty quiet enough if you want to run the silenced centre section.

6. JMB

JMB New Member

Have you any sound clips please of it at idle and moving?

Do you have the non resonated sytem with the mid box and back box?

I'm considering this system aswell as Jetex atm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200427431646&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

John:thumbup:

7. Drag20vt Forum Member

The whistle in video 1 is caused by an exhaust that is to small for the power of the car...

I fitted a standard 8v GTI system to my mark1 20vt and it caused that whistle, were as before i had a straight through which gave a massive "roar". A mate had same experience when changing exhausts on his mark2 20vt

8. JMB

JMB New Member

I think anything under a 60mm bore will cause too much restriction and therefore strangle the flow of gases reducing power significantly whilst inducing extra heat into the manifold and exhaust housing subsequently resulting in cracks...

I think ideally the best size bore for a 1.8t is 70mm/2.75" but hard to come by for a MK1 or MK2 Golf unless custom made, but a free flowing single box 60mm or 63mm system will do the trick nicely but may limit top end power slightly but will help mid range and torque figures..

If I am worng someone please put me right but this knowledge on exhuast bore's I gained from previous Evo ownership on the 3" bore is the only way to get a genuine 400atfw..

John

9. JWYATT Forum Member

Sounds pretty spot on info , i be making up my exhaust so i'll get some big diameter stuff ,

why you in the VW world .. haha from evo's how did you make that swap !? :o

Evo's are win and tick every box it seems , price wise theyre pretty sick mk2 20v build is adding up very close on the evo 6's on pistonheads [:^(]

Jo

10. JMB

JMB New Member

I've always been into VW's really the Evo was just a spur of the moment buy after I sold my '03 plate S3 back in 2006. I bought the Evo and spent an absolute fortune on it sent it a Norris Designs and over a period of 2 years ended up with just over 600hp from a high rev'ing 2.0 with a GT3582. I kind of fell out of love with it though as it was becoming a pain to use so sold it....

Bought a '91 Royal Blue MK2 16v which I then sold to a friends brother which i regret badly now but then bought another '91 Schwartz Metallic 8v and have done 20v conversion but spends most of its time in garage unless sunny and have a 56 plate MK5 Gti for daily use.

Spoke to Jetex earlier and they are out of stock until 7th June so think I may go with the Supersprint system on ebay as I am very impatient :lol: