Whats Your Best Performance Mod

Discussion in 'Engines' started by drunkenalan, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Bundles Forum Junkie

Hmmm, retro stylee :p

Nah, can't be assed with another styling remodel tbh, but cheers anywho :lol:

2. BIG AL

BIG AL Forum Member

My best mod is probably the Blitzchip. Not a massive difference in power, but the engine now holds it's power for longer. I did have a de-cat which made a difference, but made my exhaust sound pony so I took it off.

3. Bundles Forum Junkie

Planning on trying a blitzchip myself :thumbup:

My decat pipe makes my exhaust sound like it's pluffing tbh, but only from inside the car, it sounds wicked from outside [:D]

4. gillm

gillm ***** User

oh a few more very good mods were

fitting a oil cooler to my mk1 and fitting a filter king

5. fthaimike Forum Addict

285 combi's with uprated servo/mc on the mk1.

6. S1MMA Forum Member

Compared to a MK3 8v, it might as well be a time machine!

Trust me, there's enough people on this forum that know the limits of a MK3 8v engine, I don't add anything else to the discussion that hasn't already been said. I'm not taking the p1ss when I say there's no point spending any money tuning that engine, I'm just giving my opinion and trying to save people wasting their cash. If it makes you feel better, go and buy a K&N, a SS exhaust, and get it remapped (if anyone will do this any more). After spending 1k it won't give hardly any performance improvement to that lump, and any gains you do see IMO arent worth the cash you just spent. Spend 400 on a suspension kit, or 300 on a big brake upgrade (say 288mm or 312mm) which will give much more tangible benefits that just making more noise.

I had a MK3 8v for 3 years, I enjoyed the car for what it is and it was my pride and joy. I just wasn't under the illusion that there was any point spending money tuning the engine. Better to spend your cash on handling/brakes or styling if you want to mod the car, thats what I'm saying.

7. jc.. Forum Member

decent set of springs with koni t/a and poly bushes all round.
    koni inserts 2nd hand but unused of Fleabay for 60!

8. Bundles Forum Junkie

And what you say this time and the way you've said it is spot on. I will not be spending any money tuning my engine because as you say, the per bhp return is slight. I will however be tuning the engine with a 40 blitzchip (which i may even read with my eprom writer ;) ) I'll be doing my own flowed head (Done heads for most of my cars and a lot of my mates cars in the last ten years) and possibly fitting a cam (a mate has a few of the things kicking about). Most of the tuning i am doing will improve fuel economy, mid range power and possible give me 10-15bhp at the top (If I'm lucky) I will however be spending more on the chassis, it has new brakes all round already and they are up to the job, new bushes all round which has mad a heck of a difference to the handling, and coilovers are next.

What you say about trying to prevent people spending money on the lump is true, there is little point unless you're going to spend BIG money, for which you could buy a 16v :)

9. fthaimike Forum Addict

& then still spend loads on it.......

10. S1MMA Forum Member

cool, I can see how it looked in my first post - as being 8v bashing, so good to clear it up.

40 for a chip sounds like good value, I remember that the only place I could get a remap done was AMD for like 600 back in the day, where's that 40 chip from?

11. Bundles Forum Junkie

Search ebay for "Blitzchip" and see this thread
    :)

12. Phil. Forum Junkie

I was bidding on one for my digi 8v. It was listed as a starting price of 15 or 'buy it now' for 17. I placed a bid, then the buy it now was removed, now someone has bid higher than me and the 17 buy it now price???

My advise, just buy it and dont bid.