What's your birthday / star sign?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by A.N. Other, Jul 26, 2014.

1. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I see it as forming part of the debate or clarifying a viewpoint that Mr funk touched on. That's what some people have said. If I would have made comments, I expect that I can be quoted on it. IMO.

But people will see what they want to see. It's all a matter of opinion whatever your views.
    As long as there aren't insults it was ok by me. That takes the fun out of it. :thumbup:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

OK, feel free to remove what Chris quoted etc.

3. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Oh, yeah, found any evidence yet? Respectable, scientific, real stuff?
    Thought not.

4. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Using tapatalk is a bit slow. I didn't see him quote it. To be honest.

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

That isn't the current thrust of the debate.

Can you address the "gibberish" faith / religion / astronomy question please?

6. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Thought you'd duck it.

[/feeding].

Nige likes this.
  7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

No. You ducked the question. You aren't able to stand by your own words and clarify whether "gibberish" (as you used it towards astronomy) confers itself on religion too.

Facts, yes, we'll have that discussion as the thread proceeds. That's not ducked. Gemini not afraid to confront ;)

8. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Comprehension fail? lol

We are both ducking a question. The one you're failing to answer is critical to the existence of A S T R O L O G Y as something worth paying any attention to.
    The one I'm ducking is to avoid potentially offending people on a subject unrelated to the OP.

Go figure.

9. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Thing is. People can be offended by anything.
    Whether its saying mk3's are rubbish or stretched tyres are for chavs.

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Yes, comprehension fail. A total failure to recognise the difference in the use of the language and its meaning.

Thank you. Your question ducking has been clarified by a reluctance to cause offence. But your answer is clear - you daren't be as vociferous towards religion as you are quite happy to be about offending those who follow astrology :thumbd:

And yet you've waded into this discussion without any consideration.

Double standards.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Btw, I do like your sig:

Very pertinent, in a wider sense, not directed at yourself :thumbup:

12. Mr Funk Forum Member

Um, not sure what's happened since I posted and I'm at work so I may have missed something.

Either way, I don't mind being quoted or whatever, Chris was asking a question (I assume?) and he's entitled to a reply.

In answer Chris: yes, definitely. I'd like to pull the pin and explain my (ironically) fundamental dislike for organised religion but I think that would be veering away from the point of the thread. In short - apparently omnipitent being (s) have had enough time to clear up the confusion as to who's right and who's not. That either makes religion the work of an angry, vengeful being I want no part of or the work of charlatans, tricksters and those seeking to further their own ends.
    I suspect the later and it should all be regarded with the disdain and contempt it deserves.
    I'm not saying ban it or anything, whatever gets you through the day and all that. But let's none of us pretend that any of of is anymore than smoke and mirrors.

A.N. Other likes this.
  13. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Mr Funk, just to clarify. I posted something that was immediately moderated off the thread as an insult, but not before Chris had quoted it. That was the quote I was referring to in my reply to tshirt2k.

14. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Would I call organised religion "gibberish"? Yep...

But then we haven't had any overtly religious types come on the Forum espousing such theories for us to have a debate about it, now have we? ;)

Nige likes this.
  15. G28OPN Forum Member

Im a Cancerian, whatever that means. As for religion, there are so many, how can they all be right. Naive maybe, but I just see religion as another form of law that was formed/created however many years ago to keep people on the straight and narrow so to speak. Look at the 10 commandments for example.

tshirt2k likes this.
  16. Mr Funk Forum Member

Yeah, problem is it's really hard not to point out the lies, fallacies, contradictions and overt hate and not sound like a condescending, patronising, smug a-hole. And that's before you bring in the similarities between the little books and the ancient stories that preceded them (let's have a big hand for the Tale of Gilgamesh!) and ask for explanations behind the massive re-writes and suppression.
    I can come across as a bellend at the best of times, religion just boils my pish. This isn't the forum and certainly not the thread for that. I'm no better and no worse than anyone else but I require facts and proof before I make my decisions. Reasonable debate is fantastic as long as no-one resorts to using the Magic Man Done It excuse.
    Except the Mormons. Can never resist pointing out what a deluded bung-fest that all is.
    Anyway, to clarify: religion, astrology, numerology, tarot, the supernatural, psychics, mediums - all clap. Homeopathy is also in the drawer marked "quackery" (bowl water of Oliver Cromwell etc etc) although it is clear that the human body is a most fantastic machine. If you want to take a sugar pill or have a little drinky to fool yourself into health then you go right ahead but let's please acknowledge that it's the result of evolution and not the product of extraordinary dilution.

StuMc and Nige like this.
  17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

All good stuff, credit to those speaking their minds and, more importantly, reasoning a view :thumbup:

Interesting that some haven't stood up to confirm what they've said clearly applies to faith, as soon as the blindsided faith concepts were pointed out:

18. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I would suggest if you wish to discuss/digress into faith or religion, you open another thread, to stop this one veering of course and/or being closed.
    There are over 4000 different religious structures/system in the world today and while each is entitled to their own view, ultimately this is a a car forum.
    As Club GTI, we respect your right to serve what ever God, gods, Budda, Guru or no god at all and so on, and hope that your faith or lack of, does not stop you from contributing positively to our car forum.
    I will also like to remind you and others of our silver rules which state:
    Thanks for your understanding and corporation.

fasteddie and Nige like this.
  19. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Understandable. Various are of course are aware that you are quite religious :thumbup:

Do you have any views on astrology to positively add to the thread topic?

20. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

My faith does not make me "quite religious" and is not a topic I wish to burden members with. Please respect that.
    Not interested in a discussion on astrology. You however are free to express your view.