wheel change problems?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by emohawk, Jan 28, 2004.

1. emohawk New Member

Hi,
    Id like to put some 15" alloys on a mk2 1991 Golf. It currently has some 13" ones on and ive been told it may mess up the speedometer? If so is the problem easy to fix?

Also, the wheels measure 185/55/15 - will these fit on my car without any difficulties?

thankyou for your replies ( in advance ) :)

2. swi01 New Member

ok heres the deal. the actual witdth and diameter of the rim itself is no problem. however because the tires are relatively high profile (on the 15's), you may find that replacing your 13's with these puppies will increase the overall diameter of the wheel (think top of tire to bottom of tire)so that your speedo may read incorrectly but to be honest the difference will be so slight it will hardly matter. (i used to have a fiesta with 13's and i replaced them with 17's!)

if you want my advice, id bosh on a set of 185/195 45 tires onto your 15's and not only will they make your rims look better (and make the car handle better) the wheel diameter will be largely unchanged!

jobs a good 'un.

hope this helps [:D]

3. c13tay Forum Member

15" with 195/50/15's will be ok cos that what VW sent late model GTi's from the factory with

4. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

5. lockdog Forum Member