Wheel Refurbishment

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by ThisIsStapes, Jan 16, 2015.

1. ThisIsStapes

ThisIsStapes Paid Member Paid Member

I have a nice set of Porsche's that have seen better days.

Here they are in their prime:
    [​IMG]

Just wondering if anyone knew of a place near South Gloucestershire that would do a good refurb?

One has been previously been cracked and could do with a proper job. The others are just kerb damage.

Also if anyone knows where I could get the Porsche centre caps that would be great.

Cheers.

2. watercooled Forum Member

Easy wheel to restore cause they are rather flat,they are normally curbed on the outer lip,this is best treated with a good epoxy metal based 2 pack rather than welding.
    Take the cracked wheel to a good alloy fabrication workshop,the skilled welder will vee out the cracks on both sides and TIG it up after preheating the rim.
    Having said that due to labour cost you may need a quote and deside if it would be better to find a good s/h one .
    The caps,they are fairly common on ebay for reasonable $$$ be be aware they are 2 piece and the riveted steel section that locked into the centre of the wheel can rust.
    The cap your are after is for "Design 90" wheels,can't remember but think there are plastic ones that are cheaper that the alloy 2 piece ones,cheers.

3. ThisIsStapes

ThisIsStapes Paid Member Paid Member

Awesome thanks a lot man, I'll start looking around.