Wheel sizes for mk3’s

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by MattVR6, Oct 22, 2003.

1. MattVR6 New Member

Hi, im new to this forum. im looking to get a golf 3 vr6 but would really like to know wheel sizes that will go on it ?
    I understand this has prob been asked loads, but with the site being updated i cant find anything on it.

so...............

Biggest wheels i can get on and keep full lock.

18 x 8's ?
    18 x 7.5's or is it 17's.

Thankyou

2. Chris Forum Member

I'm pretty sure you can get 17's on without any problems, any more would need arches rolling. 17's I think are as big as you need plus the bigger your wheels, the worse your handling will become.

3. neath_jmj Forum Member

Apparently you can get 17's on easily wiht the right offset and lower your car 40mm with no need to modd the arches

4. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

I've got 17 x 7.5J with ET32 with a 50-60mm drop. The arches will rub under hard (and I mean HARD) cornering.

The main problem I would foresee with 18s is getting the right tyres to keep the original diameter constant. Most of the guys with 17s (me included) will have 205/40/17 tyres on. To keep the same diameter with 18s you'd need a 215/30/18 tyre which I don't believe exists.

You'd therefore have to get a bigger tyre which increases the diameter which then necessitates getting the arches done.

5. Mike 8v Forum Member

I have got koni/eibachs lowering my mk3 8v by 35mm with 17's on and I don't get any rubbing.18's are a no no as they would be detrimental to the drive of your car and would rub on the arches if you lowered it.

6. Rahul Forum Junkie

the question you ahve to ask yourself is whether you actually want your car to handle carply.

With you obviously having a vr6, it would be better to have a set up that wont make your car tramline.
    If i were you, i would go no bigger than 16's.

i am sure phil(one of the mods) will tell you as he has a VR with 16's.

7. MrBen Forum Junkie

I guess it all comes down to why you want huge wheels? If it is to go and sit outside McDonalds and impress the 14 year old girls, then yes, you can actually get 19's on a Mk3, but it'll be pants to drive.

If you want to enjoy driving it, don't go over 17's - I actually prefer the handling of mine on 15's as it's more progressive on the limit that those on lower profile tyres.

8. gwalkvr6 New Member

Got to agree with MrBen. I`ve had 17`s on my VR but now i`m back to 15`s purely down to the fact I like to drive my car and it is soooo much more fun with the 15`s. Don`t look as good but people only see it from the back :)

9. MattVR6 New Member

Beleive me when i say im not a boy racer. But, i do like big wheels. I really wanna get the RS4 wheel in 18, but the rest of the car would be really subtle. Would it be possible for people to post up some pics of mk3's with there different wheel sizes ?

So, i assume i wouldnt get full lock with 18's ?

Cheers

10. vdubgirl Forum Member

I've had 17"s on both my Vr and Gti the gti I had to mod the arches lots cause it was lowered about 60-80mm at the back and the Vr is on coilovers and seems to rub out on the drivers side rear [:^(] So were in the midst of trying to stop that but not by modding the arch ;) . Fronts you'll have no probs with on 17"s :)

11. MrBen Forum Junkie

You can get RS4 replicas in 17, if that's any help!

12. MattVR6 New Member

i know, but they look superb in 18 [:^:]
    Edited by: MattVR6

13. Golfgirl Forum Member

I've got 17x7.5's on mine, lowered by 40mm and with 205/40/17 tyres, ET35. No rubbing at all :)
    Edited by: Golfgirl

14. six appeal Forum Member

8 x 17 on mine with 215/40/17 Toyo's on, lowered about 50mm on Koni adjustables. No rubbing on mine, but then it is bloody firm, lol.

15. MattVR6 New Member

Cheers for everyones help. All ur cars look amazing and love this whole 'subtle' styling.
    so if i was to put on 7.5x18, then i should still get full lock ?
    Also, how well built are the mk3's ? does urs rattle alot, esp. peeps with coilovers ?

16. AndrewF Forum Addict

i think the best compromise of looks and performance is 16"s myself.

17. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

16s look really nice on a MKIII if ur getting a "German" style dished wheel! My cars lowered (I really dunno how much tho as its Koni Coilovers) around 60mm to 80mm with 205*46*16. No rolled arches either! The VR valance will sometimes scrape the road under heavy (track) braking, but I think thats down to the car having a slight nose down stance (seems to help dial out understeer and make the car a little more tail happy) but apart from that it handles well but I find the ride a little too harsh these days -- Yoikes Scoob I must be getting old!
    :o

If my dman sig works ye'll get an idea...

Peace!

18. tylerrules84 Forum Member

Compared to the Mk1 and Mk2 (IMHO) the Mk3's are of a more "solid" feeling build, which is nice if you like that kinda thing. They do still get annoying little rattles and buzzes sometimes though, (mine did at 2600rpm and 3100rpm... highly annoying.)

19. mike.e Forum Member

tell me about it, my dash is squeaking like mad...it's driving me barmy [:x]

20. G-FORCE Forum Member

so does mine [:s] does anyone else have a kocking sound from behind the dash when pulling away from a standing start?? its only a mild knock but i cant figure out whats causing it. Its getting worse since its getting colder .

Edited by: G-FORCE