When is an ISV clean?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by tommyc, Apr 21, 2015.

1. tommyc Forum Member

Hi all,

Following the excellent 16v tuning guide, and cleaning the ISV. It looks quite sooty and gunky, but buzzes as it should - I actually removed it from the vehicle to clean it. I swished petrol around it, and small black particles come out, and the fuel that came out at first was black.

Should the two inlet pipes be connected internally? At first, putting fuel in one hole resulted in none out of the other, although after 15 minutes of cleaning some started to drip through. I am going to do another dose of cleaning tomorrow night, but when is a good indicator that it is clean? I have tried to put a small implement in the ISV to get the gunk off (note I was extremely gentle).

Cheers, and thanks all, Tom

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the trick is to have it plugged in and buzzing when you do the above, when its off the isv will be closed or close to it. when its buzzing this allows the valve to be cleaned more thoroughly :)

3. tommyc Forum Member

Ahh, understood :)

Thanks a lot - I will do that.

Cheers