When is hot too hot?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by joescales, Apr 14, 2012.

1. joescales Forum Member

At what engine oil temp on the MFA is too hot to be running at (risk causing damage etc) and i need to pull over and let it cool. I have a problem with the cooling system at the moment but need to drive it 3 hours 175 miles to get it sorted, ill be monitoring temp the whole way but at what point (temp) do i need to pull over and let it cool down in the case of the temperature keep rising?
    Its a mk2 golf gti 16v
    Any help is greatly appreciated
    Thanks

Joe

2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

how hot is it getting

3. joescales Forum Member

noticed it get to 120!!!! then panicked

4. MUSHY 16V

120 is not that high

5. joescales Forum Member

ok, was worried it was going to keep on climbing, when do i need to decide its too high and stop to let it cool?

6. Golfamily7 Forum Member

In the manual i think it says: 'If oil temp reaches 150 degrees stop the car and allow the engine to cool'. 120 would not overly worry me.

7. joescales Forum Member

Oh really, ok its only that it always ran about 102ish i suppose would it run hotter with a polished head and higher duration cams (particularly as at the moment its not setup properly?)

Joe

8. MUSHY 16V

aye mine would sit about 120 degrees on the 7 mile trip home from work
    that was giving it some stick
    128 was the highest i had mine at
    mine did run a bit cooler once i fitted the new radiator say 4 to 5 degrees less

how's it around town temp wise

9. MUSHY 16V

aye it could do
    dont drive it to hard till you get it set up

10. joescales Forum Member

ok thanks for all the replies ill take it easy until thursday then and ill worry a little less about the temps but continue to monitor it
    Thanks very much for your help

Joe

11. jamesa Forum Junkie

What is the cooling system problem ?

I`d be more concerned over why it`s getting that hot if you`re only driving normally and not stuck in traffic ? ... you don`t say what the conditions are ?

Your modifications over standard will not cause the higher temperature if you are not using their potential extra performance ... unless it`s the lack of correct set up !

12. WillG

WillG Forum Member

What does the water temp gauge say?

13. joescales Forum Member

Cooling system problem was that there was oil in the cooling system creating a caramel looking liquid. I thought this was a sign of the head gasket on the way out so i took this as the opportunity to get the ported and polished head i wanted and the cams and vernier pulley too.
    I still have oil in the system i will continue to flush on the off chance its remnants from before, however there is also a possibility after all it was not a head gasket and could be a bottom end issue.
    So we shall wait and see Im back to TSR Thursday to get my fuelling etc setup for the new mods but could well be the bottom end is knackered.

Joe

14. joescales Forum Member

Water temp is not going much higher than normal, generally used to sit at around a 1/4 now goes up to about 1/2 then i think the fan is kicking in and drops it back to around a 1/4

15. Admin Guest

Water in oil, not the head gasket - it could be the oiler cooler giving up, they can leak into coolant system.

16. MUSHY 16V

it's easy to see if it's the oil cooler
    take the two water pipes off it and join them together with a short bit of pipe
    then start the car and look for oil coming out the two water feed pipes on the oil cooler

17. joescales Forum Member

ok before i spend a lot on a new bottom end ill definitely give that ago, only replaced the oil cooler recently though but wasnt genuine VW but was from a reputable independant retailer so would be disappointed if it has gone.
    Nevertheless I'll give it a go
    Thanks

Joe

18. joescales Forum Member

Would be good if the oil cooler has gone bottom end needs doing at some point but would be nice to be able to that at a later date
    Fingers crossed, so i just link the hoses and look for oil coming from the oil cooler?
    Thanks

Joe

19. loach

loach Forum Member

I run a fully prepped TSR 1900 16v , i would have thought the bottom end should have been your starting point , otherwise it's a bit like building a skyscraper with only sand as the foundations ! I don't wish too be critical, but with the cams etc and the raised rev limiter you will need to exploit the cams , then you really do need a strong bottom end ! Also a decent reconditioned gearbox and uprated clutch !