where do you buy slicks

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Collie, May 7, 2005.

1. Collie Forum Junkie

I am after some slicks to go on my spare rims for track days, I have never had them before,. How long will they last on my pretty much std 8v mk2 golf.No power upgrades but eibach suspension and polybushed roll bar.
    Thanks Collie

2. AndrewF Forum Addict

one spin....ask GVK :lol:

3. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

They ask me ;)

4. iguana Forum Member

Slicks aint like running road tyres tho collie, they put huge stresses in lots of areas, the car needs a lot more preperation & checking over & are very different to drive on.

You mentioned Eibach suspension- you got the full kit springs/shocks/ formt & rear ARBs?

If yes- well its still a bit soft for slicks really (see pic)- tho ok on road rubber on track- but adjustable konis would be a good improvement, but really need quite a bit firmer springs.

[​IMG]

Edited by: iguana

5. velly_16v_cab

velly_16v_cab Forum Junkie

sweet pic alex :clap: :clap: :clap:

6. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

There's loads of places you can get slicks from - buy a copy of motorsport news (weekly paper) and you will see loads of ads in the back - should be something near where you live if you look around.

As has been already said, they do load your car up so it needs to be in good nick, firm springs, good brakes, baffled sump etc etc

Any tyre place worth dealing with should be able to give you some advice as to what you need and what pressures to start at

Cheers

Rob

7. barny Forum Member

:lol: :clap:

8. iguana Forum Member

Cheers, yeh not hanging about 'eh ;) I was on an M3 day, I couldnt catch the E46 CSLs, but the others were fair game [:D]

Looking at the pic its no real suprise I fecked the N/S/F slick on the outer edge tho! ;)

9. Rolf The Golf! Forum Member

I was thinking about getting a set of cut slicks for trackdays, something like the Dunlop Formula R's.. i think you can get those from http://www.camskill.com

10. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I've got a set of AO48Rs, they're a good tyre for the track which doesn't require much warming up and it's road legal.

However, one A048R 195/50x15 costs similar money to a set of used clio cup slicks. [xx(]