Where do you get...

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Steve007, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Steve007 New Member

... your engine parts from?

It all started when I wanted to check my thermostat and a stud snapped off in the waterpump housing! Then I changed the waterpump but the bolt that holds on the lower timing chain cover was gone so out come the grinder!

Now I've put the waterpump on it's a tight fit against the timing cover and something is rubbing onto the timing belt so I thought whilst i'm down there i'll change the belt but I want to replace the lower timing cover.

Not sure if VW still sell these, but would think not. Looking through all the VW magazines it's all styling this and styling that or get yourself some pistons this or that but surely there is someone out there who makes these covers - even if they're aftermarket ones to look good in the bay!

Steve

2. Supercharged Forum Member

Yep just get the bits from VW...

3. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

gsf, euro car parts, gpc

4. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

look for B&B components on EBAY for Golf stuff like this, they do all the cambelt covers I think, Just bought the small top piece for my driver on there, about 2.99 +p&P!

5. SciroccoHillis New Member

dingbro ltd

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

Doesn't sound like you had a problem until you started fiddling with it...

Be gentle with old bolts, as you're learning!

Engine plastic covers might well be unavailable now, but you can often pick that stuff up second hand, from old blokes with sheds full of junk

Why bother replacing the lower cover anyway - who's going to see it? You drive an old car, so let it be an old car, or you'll spend a fortune on stuff that doesn't matter much.

7. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

On that b&B company on ebay theyre a couple of quid each for the parts, seems like good sense to me to spend that rather than chance a stone or piece of debris from the road lodging itself nicely in the cambelt - especially in the lower part - If it were me I'd get those covers, they are there for a reason :)