Where have My Pictures gone?

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by SimonG, Sep 11, 2011.

1. SimonG Forum Member

I'm using Vista as my OS and have had a folder for years to contain my pictures, called 'My Pictures'. Recently I have been unable to access this folder as it comes up as 'Not Accessible. Can anyone give me any ideas to get into this folder please?

There is also another folder called 'Pictures' which I believe Vista uses, my pictures are not in this file.

2. fthaimike Forum Addict

have you tried opening the hd and doing a search for any of your pics to see if any are found and then their location.

3. andypaterson Forum Member

Could just be a problem with the picture shortcut?

Try browsing your Hard Drive go to My Computer>C:>Users>"your username">My Documents or >My Pictures

Alternatively they could all be in the Public Pictures C:\Users\Public\Pictures?

4. SimonG Forum Member

Thanks for that idea; I have searched for some files and folders and it comes up with ' The item XXXXX.jpg that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly. Do you want to delete this shortcut?'

This tells me that the files are still there and can't be accessed easily.

5. SimonG Forum Member

Tried the first path as you've mention and get the same message. Looked in the second path and some pictures are in there, think they are standard stuff that comes with windows, nothing that i've taken though :( Even looked in the Administrator can can't get access either.

Can work out that they were there one minute and gome the next, even lost my wallpaper.

6. fthaimike Forum Addict

Do you know a name of just one of the pics? and do a search from the root of the HD.

For vista i did find these options online:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  7. fthaimike Forum Addict

any updates?

8. SimonG Forum Member

I've been messing around with this on & off. Tried what has been suggested and don't seem to be getting there fast.

It seems as though the various images as well as the odd music file and word document that I can't access show only as a Shortcut.

God only knows what is going on, can't work this out. There's no way I have deleted these documents and pictures.

9. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds like you have copied them as shortcuts and deleted the originals. Dont you have a backup?

10. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator