where should these wires go?????

Discussion in '8-valve' started by oldskooldub, Nov 14, 2009.

1. oldskooldub Forum Member

I am in the final stages of restoring my 8 valve mk2 digi (PB) and I have a couple of questions.
    Firstly what is this
    [​IMG]
    It has never had a wire going to it looks like a temp sensor????

Secondly, I have 2 wires that go to earth on the side of the head, a brown with a white trace that looks like it should be earthed (factory ring terminal etc) and according to the autodata 2007 it seems to be an earth for the ign amp. The more confusing one is a heavier black wire that has had a crimp-on ring terminal fitted I cant find it on any diagrams, I exits the loom at the same point as the injector plug and the IAC plug, could it be something to do with the componant in the first pic???? It would be nice to find out if it should be earthed or where it should go.
    [​IMG]
    Any help would be greatfully recieved

2. alexisblades99 Forum Member

this probably isn't much help as my golf's a kjet, but the sensor thing on the head on my car switches the rad fan on if the engine's still too hot after the engine's been switched off.
    and i've got the brown and white wire earthed on my rocker cover.

3. oldskooldub Forum Member

Thanks mate, I'm pretty sure the brown and white should be earthed, so thats what the sender thing is for, Still a bit baffled as to where the black goes, it looks too heavy to go to a sender, maybe someone else can help

4. danTbone Forum Member

on mine (pb)the brown/white goes on the side of the head next to that blue wire and coolent hose (can see it in pic ) and the black goes on a plate on the rocker cover next to the injecter rail.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ya thats the rad fan after-run sensor, 1st time I've seen one on a digi mk2, mine never had it that for sure.

the brown/white wire goes either to a plate on rear passenger corner of rocker cover, or to a stud on the end of one of the side flange mounting bolts.

If the thick brown wire is long enough it goes to the battery -ve, otherwise it goes to the side of the head :)

The brown wire to the battery -ve is for the TCI, the chunky one to the head are for the ECU, and the brown/white is for the dash temperature sensor

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  6. mk2vivs Forum Member

rubjonny what wire would run to that after-run sensor?i have one on mine but cant seem to find a wire for it?!ill need to double check and make sure it hasnt been cut

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

its a brown or brown/black with a thick black outer shieth, spade on the end. if you dont have the after-run relay on the fusebox and the trigger wire plugged into the fan loom then it wasn't there from the factory :)

8. mk2vivs Forum Member

probs not there then but i do have that sensor

9. oldskooldub Forum Member

I had one. ;)
    Anyway, thanks Jonny you seem to have helped me out again.:thumbup: