Where to buy a Brand New 9A Block?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by seanlazyass, May 22, 2006.

1. seanlazyass Forum Member

Right, Im trying to help a mate out. The bottom end on his KR lump has let go and he's decided to replace it with a Brand New 9A short block.

I thought these could be bought for around 1000 direct from VW. But he's asked local dealers who don't seem to know their a*se from their elbow and they have either told him the engine is obsolete or will cost ~ 1300+ VAT. Which I thought was rather steep.

I gave him the engine code which I believe is 051 100 103 BX? But the dealer couldn't use this they said they needed a reg number!

So if anyone could offer some advice or knowledge it would be greatly appreciated?

Thanx,

Sean

2. re1900 New Member

mate you could save about 500 families in Africa for that money.!!

what you wanna do is find a second hand block and rebuild it. i mean if your gonna buy a block you would have to replace things like piston rings, small end bearings,big end bearings, etc. so if your gonna do that anyway why does it matter if the block is brand new or old?? ONCE ITS REBUILT ITS NEW ANYWAY!!

even with all the parts it will still be considerably cheaper than that price

3. seanlazyass Forum Member

He doesn't have enough mechanical knowledge or the equipment to rebuild a block himself. Plus by the time he's paid someone else to do it he might aswell have bought a brand new block.

I know the blocks can be bought elsewhere cheaper but I don't know where?

4. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

that's why he wants to buy new so that he wont need to rebuild it.

5. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Don't TSR have pre-built recon blocks? Worth a phonecall i'm sure! Depending on where you're based?

6. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

Try a couple of different dealers. They don't need the reg no to find any parts, it just means they don't have to do anywhere near as much actual thinking if they do have it. In short, they're being lazy b'stards.

7. seanlazyass Forum Member

TSR's prices are usually rediculously high though. i.e. 3170 for their 2.0 16v Snetterton engine.

Also we're in the Northwest.

8. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

9. Barkstar Forum Member

Smith Knight Fay in Stockport are a friendly and helpful bunch when it comes to finding what you want. I can personally vouch to their patience :lol:
    But you may not be able to get a 'new' short engine even from VW, though they'll sell you a factory recon, but then you'll need an exchange block, maybe around 750 to 1000.
    I'd source a good used block and get it overhauled by someone who's got a good reputation.
    Barkstar [:*:]

10. seanlazyass Forum Member

Cheers Gary and Barkstar. Will give them both a call.

A recon engine would be fine.

Sean

11. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

I got a price from my VW dealer and it was just over 700 notes for the 9A exchange ( no clubgti discount on engines doh) that was over a year ago mind ..

12. yeha Forum Member

You don't want to use a new block. They settle down with age, slowly stress relieving with the heating/cooling cycles. Much better to get a good one with a few miles on it and rebuild with a decent overbore.

13. copper Forum Member

thats sooo typical of these useless arses'! try and find someone that knows what their talking about in the dealership! You can get a complete 9A block from VW on an exchange for about 700. Includes everything needed really, rings,pistons etc.